- Home /
- Vertex Illumina SR260 LED Light Fixture
Great Product By Sam on 3/5/13Sam would recommend this product to a friendwow just wow light does everything
Unpolished By CJ on 2/25/13CJ would recommend this product to a friendI have a 2' unit over a 36" tank. I've filled 2 of the 3 expansion slots with the multicolor aux modules. The last expansion slot is centered in the module, and because my tank has a center brace, there's simply no point putting anything in that slot.
* It's bright, well made, and the upgrade modules make it very flexible.
* You can program the unit from a computer, and really customize exactly how you want the light to perform.
* My unit contained no instructions at all. They're available online, but it's a bit of a hurdle finding them (the Vertex website isn't the friendliest or cleanest out there).
* You pretty much need to buy the V-Link dongle to program the device. The dongle is a wireless transmitter that attaches to your computer so that it can talk to the light. It is NOT a wireless adapter for making the light itself network accessible. The manual programming buttons on the light itself are basically useless.
* The unit comes in "off" mode, so it is not immediately functional out of the box. You must, at the very least, select the default "on" programming for it to work. So, if you take it out of the box and plug it in, don't expect it to light right up.
* The programming software is useless on a Mac. You'll need to run the Windows version, which is annoying since it's written in Java (and should therefore be platform agnostic).
* Upon attempting to install my auxiliary modules, I discovered that one of the hex screws securing the blank end-cap was already stripped. I eventually had to drill it out, which is not something I would recommend to someone who's never had to do it before (especially not on a $1k+ light fixture).
Now, it's a very nice light, to be certain. Quite heavy and well made. You definitely need to be certain you have an appropriate mounting solution for it. However, the entire package is very unpolished, which is quite a letdown considering the price tag.
If you're buying this for performance and programmability, beware that it's just not "easy to use." There will be some hurdles, but once you get it set, the light is indeed a solid performer. Time well tell, however, if the tank really loves it or not.
IMPRESSIVE !!! By JASON on 2/10/13JASON would recommend this product to a friendI ordered a 3 foot fixture to use on my 4 foot 120gal reef and it has more than enough light for my reef.
I transitioned from 8 bulbs of T-5 lighting and started with a very low amount of light. Over the past two months, I've slowly ramped up the lights and my corals are looking great.
I'm planning on adding two of the new multicolor modules to make my corals colors pop a bit more.
The fixture quality is very top end. It's a bit on the heavy side, but that's all being used as the heat sink. The software has a setting for the fans to come on if the fixture reaches a certain temperature, but I have yet to hear the fans kick in (as they are extremely quiet).
And I have the fixture installed inside a floating canopy.
Definitely buy the Vertex V-Link to ease the use of programming the light fixture. Should be included!
You absolutely get what you pay for with these fixtures!
Except I ordered too early and missed on the FREE Multicolor Modules when they were taking pre-orders.
Great light.. Have had for 3 months now.. By Shawn on 11/8/12Shawn would recommend this product to a friendI'll update the review as I continue to play with this light. My first impressions are that this light is extremely powerful while loaded with options that will take a bit of time to master.
Couple of items before you order (Just my opinion).
1. I wouldn't suggest ordering this light if you don't plan on purchasing the Vertex V-Link wireless controller. I purchased this controller after reading several reviews on other sites. The power this V-Link gives you is realized when you program the expert settings on the light as shown in the video. You can set multiple points to bring the sun up to it highest and brightest point in the sky. You get a fairly easy to use interface that only comes when you purchase the V-Link. I actually played with the side screen when I first hooked up the light and before I set up the V-Link. While the side screen wasn't very difficult to use I must admit it wasn't fun and reminded me of setting up and old HP printer. Once I installed the V-Link I saw the true power of ordering this 59.99 option.
2. The light doesn't come with any legs or hanging wires at all. You'll need to plan your mounting options and order those options with your light. I ordered the mounting bracket available here at the site.
3. If you don't want your fish to experience a Disney laser light show I would suggest configuring all of your settings and testing them before you mount the light. I tested just about every option on the system which annoyed my wife and dogs without giving my fish a heart attack. I don't think you would even order this light if you weren't a tinkerer so this might be something you would figure out on your own.
4. Take advantage of the vertex software site. My light didn't come with any documentation at all. This didn't concern me because I order quite a few OEM products for my computer. I found everything I needed and more on the Vertex site. http://www.vertexaquaristik.com/Products/Lighting/LED/IlluminaSoftwareFirmwareDownloads/tabid/581/language/en-US/Default.aspx
5. I have a 100 gallon tank. Given the power of the light I wouldn't run it at 100%. You can easily change this if you order the V-Link. Refer to point 1 above. Order the V-Link.
6. Update your firmware. Only possible if you order the V-Link. Refer to point 1 above. Order the V-Link.
7. If you just want to use some default settings and don't think you'll ever use the bells and whistles on this light then you don't need to order the V-Link. My opinion is that if you don't plan on unleashing the fun side of this light (Only available when you order the V-Link) then you should save some money and purchase a light that has a fewer bells and whistles.
SR260 LED LIGHT FIXTURE is INCREDIBLE! By Randy on 10/7/12Randy would recommend this product to a friendReplaced my old LED from 2 years ago and purchased the SR260 from BRS. The product is INCREDIBLE and if your a true aquarist you must purchase this fixture for your reef tank. Nothing comes close to this fixture and with add on mods and software it will only get better. Love my clouds and lighting program. My corals after 1 week are already looking amazing
There are no videos related to this product.
Ask a Question About 'Vertex Illumina SR260 LED Light Fixture'
Previously Asked Questions
by Carol Jimenez on December 22, 2012, @3:27 PM
How do you determine how many lights you will need for a 6' tank?
Bulk Reef Supply Hey Carol,
Vertex recommends going with a fixture that is 1ft less then your tank length. So for your 6' tank you would want the 5ft fixture!
by Matt on December 23, 2012, @6:27 PM
Your video mentioned this fixture should be placed 3" above the water level. Do you need an aquarium lid or are water splashes not a concern for the Illumina? Thanks.
Bulk Reef Supply Hey Matt,
The light itself has an acrylic shield over the LED's and electronics which should more then suffice for your every day mist, etc. Not that a cover ever hurts just to keep your fish in the tank though :-)
by Ben on March 7, 2013, @5:44 AM
I have a standard 75 gal reef tank, how many foot light?
Bulk Reef Supply Hey Ben,
Vertex recommend using a 3ft light on a 4ft tank as the LEDs go close to the ends of the fixture. In your situation with the 75g tank I would suggest the 3ft SR260 light, it would be a great option.
Vertex Illumina SR260 LED fixtures are filled with innovation. These fixtures incorporate sleek design with superior grade LEDs and low level energy consumption. Multiple programmable lighting scenarios including sunsets, weather simulations and more. Wireless controller manipulates lights by color groups or modules. Total Modular System makes it easy to replace or remove parts making upgrades to system a breeze. Unique Thermovap heatsink design efficiently disperses heat minimizing heat transfer to your tank.
Deal of the Day!
BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - SingleEnds in00:00:00:00
- FREE PRIZE$
- Bulk Media & Additives
- Bulk Reverse Osmosis Filters & Systems
- Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand
- BRS Additives
- Red Sea Additives
- Korallen-Zucht Additives
- Two Little Fishies
- Fauna Marin Aquarium Additives
- Auto Top Off Systems
- Filter Media
- Fish & Coral Foods
- Fragging Supplies
- Heaters & Chillers
- Medications & Pest Removal
- Monitors & Controllers
- Protein Skimmers
- Sumps, Tanks & Refugiums
- Tank Maintenance & Salt Mix
- UV & Ozone
- Videos & Books
- New Products
Send us your feedback
Let us know.
Hours: 9am -5pm CST M – F
672 Mendelssohn Ave N, MN 55427 Map