Reef Tank Parameters - Acceptable Ranges Reference Chart
Maintaining proper reef tank parameters is essential to the health and well-being of fish, coral, and invertebrates inside your aquarium. Fluctuations in a key aquarium parameter, such as temperature, salinity, pH, ammonia, or nitrate can result in some serious stress upon your tank inhabitants, algae blooms, and disease.
No matter what type of aquarium you keep, it is important to test and monitor critical tank parameters on a very regular basis and in order to identify changes or trends in your parameters. When it comes to reef aquariums, stability is king and you have an even wider scope of parameters that must be maintained. In addition to pH, temperature, and salinity you also need to keep a close eye on your alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels.
We've created this handy reference chart for you to bookmark or share so you'll always know the proper saltwater aquarium parameters and how reef aquarium water parameters compare to seawater parameters. You can even click on the image for a downloadable .PDF to take it with you or print it out for handy reference.
While these parameters are widely agreed upon by hobbyists to be safe or ideal conditions for an aquarium, it is important to understand that every aquarium is different. What is right for your tank may not be exactly the same in someone else's tank. At the end of the day, the most important factor is stability within the given minimum and maximum ranges.
Before you go pouring aquarium additives or supplements into your tank, it is important to understand what you are adding and how much you need to add. The BRS Reef Calculator is a great tool for those of you using BRS Bulk Pharma additives that will help you mix and dose your additives appropriately for your tank.
If you would like to learn more about aquarium water parameters and test kits, check out some of these awesome videos from the BRStv team that take a close look at various aquarium water parameters to help you understand how best to manage them in your tank.
- The cool part of reefing. Calcium, alkalinity & growing corals in the aquarium - A beginner's guide
- Can you trust your saltwater test kit OR your testing skills on your reef tank? - BRStv Investigates
- Don't Let Your Test Kits Fail You - Top Aquarium Test Kit Mistakes & Fails
- Quick Guide to Mastering Reef Tank Chemistry - Become an expert reef tank chemist without a degree!
- Master Nutrients: Nitrate, Phosphate and Reef Aquariums
- Master Reef Tank Calcium & Magnesium: Going Beyond the Right Levels and Preventing Precipitation
- It's More Than Just Salt - The Secret To Mastering Sodium Chloride In Your Reef Tank
- New concept in reef tank Alkalinity: How it works & how to gain 70% or more coral growth!
- Learn How To Master pH In Your Reef Tank And Get Up To 50% More Coral Growth!
- Mastering Reef Tank Pollutants: Are you poisoning your tank and killing your corals?
If you have any questions about testing your water, which additives or equipment you should use, or even how you can get rid of algae, just reach out to our Customer Service team anytime for expert advice. Our crew of experienced hobbyists are happy to talk tank or walk you through the shopping process.