The Ultimate Korallen-Zucht Guide. What These Blue Bottles Do For Your Reef Tank. KZ Zeovit & Beyond
Korallen-Zucht, founders of the ZEOvit System, are responsible for Germany’s largest coral farm. Through extensive testing and years of proven results on their own coral grow-out systems, KZ has developed a unique line of additives to help hobbyists achieve the same amazing results in terms of coral health and care. A quick search for "Korallen Zucht" or "Zeovit" on Google will give you a glimpse into exactly what they have been able to achieve in captive reef tanks, it's impressive, to say the least. Our Buyer's Guide to Korallen Zucht will help you get started in achieving this same level of success in your own tank and sift through the sea of little blue bottles.
Top 10 Best Sellers
- Coral Booster
- Coral System 1-2-3-4
- Pohl’s Coral Vitalizer
- ZEOvit Starter Package
- Amino Acid Concentrate
- Amino Acid LPS
The BRS 160 Bundle
Randy's favorite with proven results that is still being used on the famous BRS160 reef tank to this day. This combination of foods, additives, and trace elements is available in a single package that makes it easy to understand the benefits of each bottle. LPS Amino, Amino Acid Concentrate, Pohl’s Coral Vitalizer, Sponge Power, FlatwormStop, Coral Booster, & Pohl’s Xtra is the winning combination that has been dubbed the “Miracle Mix” when it comes to coral growth and overall health. If emulating the success of the BRS 160 something you’re looking to achieve then, this bundle is the ideal choice for you.
The Coral System 1-2-3-4
Ryan has an LPS dominant system at home and appreciates only having to dose the Coral System once per week. These four bottles just make it easy to take advantage of Korallen Zucht's methods without an overly complex dosing regime. Coral System contains three different coloring agents combined with a bottle of amino acids to support proper tissue and protein production. The bottles are also very concentrated which means they will last quite a while depending on the size of your tank.
Zeovit Starter Package
The ZEOvit System is the most time-tested version of carbon dosing and is what Korallen-Zucht has deployed on their own systems for decades. The ZEOvit methodology is based on both nutrient export and high nutrition input that is then balanced out with food and coloration agents. The starter package includes ZEOvit Media, ZEObak, ZEOstart, and ZEOfood. By simply adding a ZEOvit media reactor, you will have everything you need to get started.
Beyond the starter package, you can begin to explore a number of additional additives that will provide specific benefits.
- Sponge Power: This additive is targeted for filter feeders including sponges. Sponge Power promotes the health and growth of these filter feeders as they will help you absorb excess nutrients from the tank. A coral coloration feature is also a part of this additive to help bring out the deep purple hues within your corals.
- Pohl’s B-Balance: This is a color-enhancing additive for mainly SPS and softies that help bring out the reds and pinks within them. It will also help the base of your SPS corals fully encrust over whatever surface they are on.
- Pohl’s Xtra: This is a trace element additive that is the primary coloration tool within KZ’s line. Pohl’s Xtra is a colorizer and vitalizer for dark brown corals while Pohl’s Xtra Special performs a very similar task when it comes to light brown corals.
- Pohl’s A-Balance: This additive helps your system find a natural bacteria balance in your display and when paired with Sponge Power, you can expect more pronounced yellow coloration in your SPS corals.
- ZEOspur2: This is the most controversial of the additives and it is responsible for the pastel look that is synonymous with a Korallen-Zucht reef tank. ZEOspur2 reduces the density of zooxanthellae in your coral’s tissue. Zooxanthellae is brown in coloration and it can overwhelm the natural pigments of your coral and therefore, dosing this additive will allow more of the coral’s natural pigments to shine. It is very important to only use this tool with very healthy corals.
- Iodide Complex: This is the last step of additions to the ZEOvit system and is specifically designed to help with coloration. When adding Iodide Complex you will notice deeper pinks, blues, greens, and reds. If you dose too much of this, you will really accentuate the greens in your display.
To learn more about ZEOvit, check out Korallen Zucht's ZEOvit Guide which gives you more in-depth instructions about employing the ZEOvit system on your reef tank.
Other Popular Options For ALL Reef Tanks
Coral Booster + Flatworm Stop: Our most popular bottle combination of the KZ line is the Coral Booster & Flatworm Stop. Anyone who has Acropora-eating flatworms should use this combination in order to reduce and control these flatworms without having to remove coral. This combination makes your coral tissue very strong and unpalatable for flatworms without introducing harmful poison into your tank. Combining these additives with some flatworm-eating fish like a six-line wrasse is a great way to keep these pests in check.
Pohl’s Coral Vitalizer: If you want to see an immediate impact on your polyp extension then, dosing Pohl’s Coral Vitalizer will do just the trick. With a few drops of this additive, you will see the extension of your coral’s polyps like you’ve never seen before. Color-enhancing is also something that we will be testing in the coming months when it comes to adding this Vitalizer to your repertoire.
Amino Acids LPS or Amino Acid Concentrate: Amino acid based nutritional tools that can make a dramatic difference in both the health and appearance of your corals. Through our testing with World Wide Corals, we have found that dosing Amino’s can make a massive impact. The difference between these two products is that they are each unique blends of Amino Acids formulated specifically for either LPS or SPS+Softies.
Bio-Mate: Bio-Mate is a bacterial additive to help clean your system by attacking detritus in your rock work and sandbed. This will cause your skimmer to go crazy and you will see a lot of that broken-down detritus in your filter sock. That being said, with a lot of this removed, your phosphate level will also benefit.
Cyano Clean: Getting rid of Cyanobacteria for good can be a real headache, but with KZ’s CyanoClean you can take a more natural approach to irradiation. If using a cyano poison has you worried about its effects on your aquarium, then look no further than CyanoClean. This is not a poison and it will be a better long-term solution that will stop the build-up of cyano at its root cause.
Amino Acid Fish: Amino Acids aren’t only beneficial when it comes to corals, but they are also a great way to keep your fish species healthy and vibrant. Amino Acids will help your fish get the nutrients they may not be receiving from your standard fish foods. Adding a couple of drops of this to a pellet food is our recommended way of getting these extra nutrients to your fish.