How much does your salt mix REALLY cost? - BRStv Investigates
The table below was recorded in February of 2019 and is representative of salt mix costs at that time. The cost per month model is defined by 10% weekly water changes in a 100 gallon tank which equates to 40 gallons of saltwater per month.
- The total gallons of saltwater a container of salt mix will yield is dependant upon the exact salinity your mixing too.
- The difference in cost between the most affordable and most expensive salt mix is negligable, only $7 per month.
- Is cost the most important factor when choosing a salt ?
- Choose salt that most closely matches your desired tank parameters
- Necessary mixing time varies between various salt mix brands - as long as 24+ hours in some cases.
- Are you storing the saltwater or using it right away?
|Salt Mix||Total material weight||Total Gallons @ 35 ppt||Cost||Cost Per Gallon||Cost per month - 100 gallon tank|
|Instant Ocean||22.3 kg / 49.1 lbs||139.5 gal||$54.99||$0.39 / gal||$15.60|
|Reef Crystals||20.2 kg / 44.5 lbs||125.8 gal||$62.99||$0.50 / gal||$20.00|
|Hw Marinemix||19.5 kg / 42.9 lbs||129.3 gal||$69.99||$0.54 / gal||$21.60|
|Red Sea Blue Bucket||22.2 kg / 48.9 lbs||149.2 gal||$72.99||$0.49 / gal||$19.60|
|Red Sea Coral Pro||22.1 kg / 48.7 lbs||149.9 gal||$72.99||$0.49 / gal||$19.60|
|Brightwell NeoMarine||20.2 kg / 44.3 lbs||150.1 gal||$73.99||$0.49 / gal||$19.60|
|Tropic Marin Classic||25.0 kg / 55.1 lbs||170.7 gal||$83.72||$0.49 / gal||$19.60|
|Tropic Marin Pro Reef||25.0 kg / 55.1 lbs||170.7 gal||$95.37||$0.55 / gal||$22.00|