How to Install a CO2 Scrubber for Reef Tanks
CO2 Scrubbers are designed to connect to a protein skimmer or some other piece of equipment that is currently introducing ambient air into your aquarium. The media in the scrubber will effectively strip and capture CO2 from that air that comes in contact with the media. In a lot of cases, reefers can obtain a noticeable, desired increase in pH. When installing a CO2 Scrubber we highly suggest using a pH monitor to watch your pH as it can rise higher than desired depending on your specific settings.
Mounting and Connecting the Reactor Body
- Mount the CO2 scrubber close to your protein skimmer's air intake. We suggest keeping the reactor close to your skimmer since longer spans of tubing will cause excessive air intake restriction.
- Remove the air intake tubing and silencer from your skimmers pump.
In many cases, the 3/8” tubing that is included with the CO2 Scrubber will directly attach to your skimmers pump and you can simply remove your current air tubing and silencer from your skimmer. If your tubing does not fit barbed adapters may be required to adapt the tubing on your skimmer to the 3/8” tubing supplied with the reactor.
Using the Refillable Cartridge
- Unscrew the reactor body from the head and remove the refillable cartridge.
- Remove the strainer at the top of the refillable cartridge and one of the two foam pads.
- Push the remaining foam pad down to the bottom of the cartridge
- Fill the cartridge to the top with BRS CO2 Reactor Media and install the sponge that was removed on top of the media and press down to lightly compress the sponges.
- Install the top strainer and O-ring back onto the cartridge.
- Add 1 Tbsp of RO/DI water to the bottom of the reactor body.
- Replace the cartridge back into the reactor body (O-ring side up).
- Screw the body of the reactor snugly back onto the head.
- Monitor your pH every couple hours for the next few days, making sure that levels do not go over the desired pH.
If you have any other questions or need further help contact our reefing experts at 763-432-9691.