- Home /
- Reef Octopus KS100 Kalk Stirrer (Nilsen Reactor)
Starting at: $11.24
Starting at: $8.09
Starting at: $10.79
Regular Price: $54.99
Special Price: $49.49
Update: mixing is too slow By Joe on 2/3/2014Joe would recommend this product to a friendThis is an update on my review on 1/25/2014.
After running the reactor for a short time now, I have found that the stirring rate of the Ca(OH)2 is too slow (motor runs as 2.5 RPM). For my system this is insufficient to mix the incoming DI/RO water with the Ca(OH)2. Over time, the pH of the kalkwasser leaving the reactor drops to less than 11. Saturated Ca(OH)2 solution at 25 C should be around 12.4. This is with running the motor for more than the suggested duty cycle (10-15 min out of ever 120 min).
I am currently looking to replace the motor with one that spins faster, like 50 RPM.
very well made, works well By joe on 1/25/2014joe would recommend this product to a friendI've only been using this for a few weeks so far. The unit is very well designed and manufactured. I'm using a Toms aqualift, and there is no chance that particulate Ca(OH)2 will be lifted out of the unit at such a low flow rate. You could probably go even with a little higher flow rate that what the Toms pump can do and still have not problems.
I also run a Ca reactor, so this unit is setup only to add ATO water at night, which allows me to keep the pH up above 8.2 all the time. It's also clear now that I must have had some CO2 dissolving into my kalkwasser solution before, as the ATO+kalkwasser was not as good at raising my pH at night as using this reactor. Of course, I don't have to mix up big batches of kalkwasser anymore either, but I'm still using an ATO reservoir (just DI/RO now). I may setup it up for direct connection to the DI/RO system.
Only concerns are:
1) They indicate that the motor only has a 1500 hr lifetime, which is extremely short. They recommend running the motor on ~15 min out of every two hours, but if you did this 24/7, the motor would only last a little more than a year. So, I only run the motor when the ATO pump is on, which really only comes on for perhaps 15-30 min per day. This seems to work fine for my setup (~60 gal system, but lots of surface area, so evaporates ~1.5 gal/day).
2) They should supply the unit with a check valve; otherwise, you will have water flowing back into your ATO reservoir. Make sure to get a check valve with this.
There are no videos related to this product.
- Solid construction
- Push connect input and output: 1/4"
- Designed to keep large particles in bottom of chamber with saturated solution at top
- Large thumb screws to easily release lid
- Body Diameter: 4”
- Height: 27.25”
- Footprint: 5.25” x 5.25"
- 1 year on reactor body
Item #: OCT-KS100
Deal of the Day!
BRS Tonga Single Branch Dry Live RockEnds in
Regular Price: $2.09
Special Price: $1.0500:00:00:00
- Bulk Reverse Osmosis Filters & Systems
- Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand
- Aquarium Lighting
- Auto Top Off Systems
- Calcium, Alkalinity & Trace Elements
- Controllers, Monitors & Testing
- Filter Media
- Fish & Coral Foods
- Fragging Supplies
- Heaters & Chillers
- Pumps & Plumbing
- Salt Mix & Tank Maintenance
Skimmers & Reactors
- Internal Protein Skimmers
- External Protein Skimmers
- Hang On Skimmers
- Ozone Equipment
- Nano Skimmers & Accessories
- UV Sterilizers
- Sumps, Tanks & Refugiums
- Specials, New & BRS Gear
Send us your feedback
Let us know.
Phone Hours: 7am - 7pm CST M-Th
10am-4pm CST Friday
6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400
Golden Valley, MN 55427 Map
View Larger Map 6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400, Golden Valley, MN 55427