Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 Protein Skimmer - Top FAQs
- Reef OctopusVarioS-6S Controllable DC Skimmer Pump - Reef Octopus$430.80
Earn 430 Reward Points$430.80
- Reef OctopusVarioS-4S Controllable DC Skimmer Pump - Reef Octopus$386.91
Earn 386 Reward Points$386.91
- Reef OctopusVarioS-2S Controllable DC Skimmer Pump - Reef Octopus$286.43
Earn 286 Reward Points$286.43
How do I know if the Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 Protein Skimmer is working?
Once tuned correctly, your skimmer should be collecting dark-colored skimmate in the cup along with mud-like sludge collecting inside the skimmer's neck. Raising the skimmer's internal water level via the outlet controls will dictate how much water is being collected in the cup based on your particular tank.
A protein skimmer does not directly remove nitrates and phosphates rather it removes the organic waste that is broken down and turned into nitrate and phosphate by bacteria. So it will effectively reduce the rate at which nitrate and phosphate are created in your tank.
Tuning your protein skimmer correctly is critical for optimal performance. If you're having trouble collecting skimmate or getting your skimmer to stabilize, check out the blog post below for more detailed information.
Watch Video To Learn More: The best way to tune your Protein Skimmer: Learn how in just 5-minutes!
How many gallons is the Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 rated for?
Reef Octopus does a great job with tank size recommendations offering a range based on your particular bioload. A majority of tank owners should follow the heavy bioload guidelines considering most aquariums run with a heavier bioload.
- Light: Up to 160-gallon aquariums
- Medium: Up to 120-gallon aquariums
- Heavy: Up to 75-gallon aquariums
How do I put the Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 together?
- Remove the base of the skimmer using the four red-colored quick-release fasteners.
- Attach the pump onto the skimmer base. The pump must be placed in the correct direction and be sure to fit the power cord into the appropriate notch cut out onto the base.
- Attach the bubble plate chamber to the pump outlet.
- Place the skimmer body over the pump and re-attach the skimmer base. Lock red fasteners.
- Insert the venturi fitting through the hole in the skimmer body. It will slip-fit over the pump intake.
- Attach the air-hose to the nipple on the venturi fitting.
- Assemble and attach the skimmer outlet pipe and valve.
- Place skimmer into your sump. The skimmer must be submersed into 7.1" - 8.7" of water. The water level can be adjusted via an adjustable baffle or just use a skimmer stand if you need to raise the skimmer up.
How do I choose the right Reef Octopus Protein Skimmer?
There are a few important factors to consider when choosing a skimmer. Ultimately you want answers to all of these questions and should be confident in those answers. If you are just not sure, feel free to contact our Customer Service Team anytime.
- Will it fit in my sump or tank?
- Is it rated for my tank size?
- External or internal pump?
- AC pump or DC pump?
- Is the cost within my budget?
How long does it take to "break-in" the skimmer?
It can take up to 2 weeks for a skimmer to really perform efficiently. If you experience overflowing during this time, that is normal and it should subside. Just run the skimmer wide open with a lower internal water level and it should eventually calm down and stabilize making it easier for you to tune correctly.