- BR153 Monzter Biopellet Reactor (OPEN BOX) - Skimz
Skimz Monzter BR153 biopellet reactor is great, easy to use internal biopellet reactor. Biopellets can help remove nitrates by the use of a bacteria that will colonize on the biopellets. BRS suggests 1 cup or 236 mL of biopellets per 50 gallons of total system water volume.
- Great for tanks between 200 - 400 gallons
- 2000 mL max capacity
- Super quiet VSC3000-DC pump
- DC pump has external controller for easy tuning of flow
- Screw off lid is very easy to remove for cleaning of built-in strainer
- 3/4 inch barbed outlet (comes with short piece of silicone tubing)
- 12.75in L x 7.5in W x 19.5in
Solid carbon dosing (biopellets) has recently become an extremely popular method of removing nitrates from the aquarium. The exact method of denitrification can be different for each tank but it mainly consists of a few things:
- Nitrate-laden Bacteria is removed via the protein skimmer
- Bacteria directly converts nitrite into nitrous oxide so nitrate is never produced
- Bacteria consumes nitrates and processes them down into nitrogen gas
- Nitrate-laden Bacteria is consumed by tank inhabitants like corals and sponges
Depending on the system it should take 4-8 weeks for the bacteria population to multiply and begin its work on your nitrates. Once you have the reactor going we suggest not making any adjustments for 8 weeks. Give the media and bacteria time to adjust to the parameters found in your tank and begin working. The absolute best advice we can give with this system is to set it up and forget about it for two months. Unless something is obviously not right, resist all temptation to make any changes until the two months are up.
BRS suggests 1 cup or 236 mL per 50 gallons of aquarium water