- Rx-U 2.5L Universal Media Reactor - Vertex (DISCONTINUED)
The Vertex Rx-U 2.5L Universal Media Reactor combines great performance for crystal clear results with solid construction, ease of use and easy maintenance. Dual chamber design for easy removal/addition of filter media.
- Holds 2.5L of Media (approx. 85 Fl oz)
- Total Height: approx. 22" (560mm)
- Chamber Diameter: approx. 4.7" (120mm)
- Foot print: approx. 5.5" (140mm)
- Internal or external use
Vertex Rx-U 2.5L Universal Media Reactor eliminates the problem of media compaction by giving complete control of flow-through to the user. These universal reactors are designed for inline, hard-plumbed applications and/or remote, soft-hose applications.
- Easy Set up
- Easy maintenance because unit can be fully disassembled
- Precision manufacturing using CNC machining for 0 variance between parts
- Cast Acrylic Tube
- PVC Base and lid for maximum durability
- PN16 U-PVC Fittings
- Onboard True Union ball valve for control of flow
- Union connection
- Barbed hose connection
- QUICK-LOC lid design for easy replenishment or removal of media
- Titatium Screws
- Silicone O-Rings
- Internal or External Applications
Quality from concept to doorstep By Robert E on 12/7/2019Robert E would recommend this product to a friendI have been looking for a replacement reactor to replace an older acrylic piece, (forgot brand, higher end though). So I saw this item and waited for the Black Friday sale and saved a few bucks. Since I've only used this a short time I can say this is a better than average reactor. I mix 2 different carbons and GFO mix and this setup will make the task of replacing media about 70% faster than my old one. True union ball valve is pricier than a standard one or none at all with other brands, When paying higher price for an item like this, it truly pays off for years to come. I have no complaint of o-ring seals so they must have resolved that issue. The only thing now is finding replacement o-rings, the 2 housing seals, as I have found the best way to avoid the need of a replacement service part is to have a spare on hand. So far, I'm very satisfied with this purchase. BTW, up flow is the BEST way to use GFO. I use the best GFO BRS has and it last longer with the up flow method.
Nice reactor with some issues By Eric on 9/29/2015Eric would recommend this product to a friendI bought two of these reactors late last year. I hard plumbed both into my sump. They are fed through an intake manifold tee'd off one of my return lines, and the output goes into an exhaust manifold that silently returns the processed water. So onto the review:
1. Included union ball valve at the intake is convenient
2. Dual chamber design facilitates media change
3. 2.5L model has great capacity, while tall it has a relatively small footprint
4. High quality acrylic construction - it is a very nice looking reactor
1. O-rings at the bottom of the inner chamber don't stay in place, when replacing the inner chamber they will fall off into the bottom of the outer chamber. I tried to get replacements and ultimately was put in touch with Jen at Pro-Line who said she'd get them sent right out. Well I never got them, and multiple follow-up emails were never returned. I ultimately gave up on getting customer service to address this, and went the fix-it-yourself route by applying silicone in the groove of the inner chamber to keep the O-rings in place. This problem was not a random defect but a definite design flaw, as it involved both of my reactors and is mentioned in other RX-U reviews. Basically there are two issues - the acrylic lip at the bottom of the outer chamber that supports the O-ring is too small and the groove for the O-ring in the inner chamber is too generous or the O-ring is too thin, so it doesn't fit tight enough to keep it in place. To make it worse, one of my O-rings was slightly stretched out of the box, making even harder to get and keep in place.
2. The supplied sponges are ineffective at keeping smaller media, for instance GFO and finer carbon, inside the reactor. Now there is a balance for such sponges - too restrictive they might clog up and too loose they let media escape. Well since these are 'Universal' reactors, Vertex should supply an alternate set of sponges that is more suitable for fine media.
Overall I would recommend these reactors with some caveats - be prepared to silicone the O-rings in place and make your own sponges. Neither should be the case on a higher end reactor, but in the end it is a pretty nice product once these issues are managed. Hopefully Vertex will fix the design in the future and some better customer service would be nice too.
Vertex Rx-U 2.5L Universal Media Reactor By Alberto on 2/11/2015Alberto would recommend this product to a friendOrdered this product from this website and do not regret. Amazing quality. The shipping was very reliable and received in a very timely matter. Would definitely recommend this website and this product to aquarium lovers like myself.
Great Unit - you get what you pay for By JTG on 4/3/2014JTG would recommend this product to a friendSolid unit, uncompromising quality and engineering. Very impressed with the unit, and so far with Vertex generally. So much so I purchased a second reactor. Components are of the highest quality - have not seen anything that matches Vertex's attention to detail and thoughtful design. Integral flow valve - such a simple idea - but missing on almost all competitive units. Easy maintenance, media change, etc. You may be paying a little more, but you will be getting a level of quality that will impress you and make your life easier.
How many gallon tank will this support?
It really depends on the type of media you want to put in it. It can hold up to 2.5L but depending on what that media in, 2.5L might be enough for a 5g tank or a 500g tank. With most medias its going to work for all but the most giant of tanks though.
Do u have the repacement red spones for sale for this reactor ?
We do not currently have replacement sponges for the reactors. They may be available through Vertex directly.
Vertex and Korallen Zucht - 714-274-6544 firstname.lastname@example.org
What size fitting are the inlet and outlet and Hose verbs on this reactor? I assume you would want to find a pump with the same size outlet to make plumbing simpler.
Could you suggest a small submersible pump for the Vertex Rx-U 2.5L Universal Media Reactor?
What type of media are you planning in running in the reactor?