- Sapphire Cube Sump 20 (OPEN BOX) - Trigger Systems
Why does BRS recommend this?
Trigger systems has been making sumps for quite some time now and they have won us over with their attention to detail, practical designs and overall aesthetic appeal. With the ability to modify the sump to your needs with adjustable water levels, interchangeable plates , tube holders, probe holders, and enough room to put equipment where ever you need it.
Sapphire 20 Cube
- Dimensions: 20″ long x 20″ wide x 15″ high
- Skimmer Section: 11.625″ x 9″
- Refugium Section: 19.5″ x 6″
- Return Pump Section: 10.25″ x 7.625″
- Total Water Volume: 24.3 gallons
- Skimmer Water Level: 7″ to 9.5″ adjustable
- Drain Input Fittings: 1
- Filter Socks: 1
The Sapphire series introduces several new features not found anywhere else. Some of the features of the Sapphire sumps are:
- Interchangeable plates (PAT PENDING)
- Lid to prevent splashing
- Adjustable water height
- Self-adjusting foam block platform (PAT PENDING)
- Dual platforms
- Protein skimmer section
- Refugium section
- Sapphire blue coloring to block light and prevent unwanted algae growth in other sections
Sapphire Water Flow
Water enters the Sapphire sumps into a dedicated section where the water will then flow over into Section 1.
Section 1 where the interchangeable plate is located allowing for either filter sock or foam block mechanical filtration. This area is covered with a lid to prevent water splashing. Water then flows out the bottom of Section 1 into Section 2.
Section 2 is typically where the protein skimmer is located. Water then flows through the ‘Trigger Symbol’ cutout into Section 3.
Section 3 is the refugium section. The water then flows over the second baffle through 2 perforated platforms and under the third baffle into Section 3. The top perforated platform comes with a foam block filter and the bottom one is open to use for several different filtration methods (bag of carbon, bio balls, rubble rock, etc.).
Section 4 is the return water section back into the tank. This is where the return pump will sit.
Interchangeable Plates (PAT PENDING)
Each Sapphire sump comes with two plates that can be placed into Section 1:
- Filter Sock Plate
- Foam Block Plate
The filter sock plate is installed when the included 100 micron filter socks are desired.
The foam block plate is perforated with holes and comes with a foam sponge block filter. The foam block plate can be used when filter socks are not desired or in the case when the filter socks need to be changed or cleaned but replacements socks are not readily available but yet mechanical filtration is needed. In this case, simply remove the filter sock plate and install the perforated foam block plate and then place the included foam sponge block filter in place.
Adjustable Water Level
Water level in the sump is adjustable from 7” to 9.5” to accommodate for the water height requirements for different protein skimmers.
Self-Adjusting Foam Block (PAT PENDING)
As the water level is adjusted by sliding the wall up and down, the foam block sponge filter and the perforated plate that it sits on will also move up and down automatically. This is important to maintain the correct location of the foam block sponge filter with respect to the sump water height.
All Sapphire sumps come with a probe holder that can hold up to three probes. The two outside holes are 0.63” in diameter and the center hole is 0.8” in diameter to fit different sized probes.
All Sapphire sumps also come with 4 holes in the top support brace for holding in place 1/4” OD tubing from reactors, dosing pumps, ATO, etc.
Best sump ever for a 60g cube, but with a couple of issues... By David on 5/24/2019David would recommend this product to a friendFirst the issues.
1) From the product description:
"Self-Adjusting Foam Block (PAT PENDING)
As the water level is adjusted by sliding the wall up and down, the foam block sponge filter and the perforated plate that it sits on will also move up and down automatically. This is important to maintain the correct location of the foam block sponge filter with respect to the sump water height."
The sump I purchased is not built this way- just some black egg crate sitting on fixed height brackets. (Maybe new old stock situation that was built prior to this feature being incorporated into the sump. Not a deal breaker, but not a plus either.
2) The bubble trap/ overflow area that feeds the filter sock has no easy access for cleaning...a small opening with door would be really, really nice here. Think errant creature that rode the overflow, or detritus that could build up for those of us that are not having huge water turnover through the sump. Again, not a deal breaker, but a great feature that would so easy to add (I might retrofit one)
Me just wishing:
A way to select the water path to go through the Triggerfish cut out between the skimmer and refugium <OR> over an adjustable weir like the outlet from the refugium would be useful. Ultimate in stable skimmer water level for set ups that may have larger back flow than the return section can absorb.
Now the good parts:
1) Very protective box! Foam pads/ corners stood up to UPS and delivered a pristine product.
2) Filter sock and pad plates and media included. Super nice for me - I will use flat filter pads for easy change out ( at least until a fleece roll filter finds it's way home to me).
3) Skimmer area is roomy and will accept a skimmer and heaters and.... Efficient shape for gear addicts, extra volume for everyone.
4) Large, long, up front refugium! Zetlight ZP-4000 fits perfectly. Up front location gives you a great view of life below.
5) Water level in skimmer/ refugium areas adjustable with a sliding slotted panel that helps retain errant stands of chaeato.
6) Return area has great volume and room for more than just a return pump.
7) Braced design - strong and straight sides, (but not perfect finishes on partition edges and one well preserved fingerprint in glue on the probe holder).
I would pay more for more usable features.