250 mL Multi-Standard
Easily Check Your Saltwater Test Kits for Accuracy
- Works for calcium, magnesium, potassium and alkalinity
- Compatible with all commonly available test kits
- The test can continue to be used by calculating a correction factor
Reagents in test kits can lose their effectiveness and accuracy over time due to unfavorable storage conditions, high or low temperature and through exposure to oxygen. This can then lead to incorrect results. The respective tests should therefore be checked against a stable standard on a regular basis.
Tropic Marin Multi-Standard is a solution, produced in the laboratory, and tested by means of ICP-OES. The solution is made with measured concentrations of calcium, magnesium, potassium and KH/ alkalinity. It can be used to check the accuracy of test kits for those parameters and to calculate a correction factor, if the test kit is found to have a variance.
Compatible with all commonly available calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, and potassium test kits.
1) Perform the measurement in accordance with the respective test instruction. This mineral reference solution replaces the water sample from the aquarium. Remove the necessary mineral reference solution liquid from the dosing chamber of the bottle with the dosing tool from your test (usually a syringe). Compare the result of your measurement (“measured value”) with the ICP-OES value (“target value”) for the relevant parameter indicated on the bottle. If the values match, the test is OK and you need take no further action.
2) If the values do not match, you can determine a correction factor for the test as follows: Correction factor = target value / measured value. Future results from your aquarium sample measurements must be multiplied by this correction factor.