- Skimz Monzter SM202 External Protein Skimmer
The Skimz E-Series SM202 External Protein Skimmer gives you high performance skimming at a great value.
- Rated for tanks up to 211-528 gallons (800-2000 Liters)
- Air intake: 254 GPH (960 LPH), making it capable of handling a higher water throughput.
- Low power consumption and high performance
- Features a Skimz ES5000 Needlewheel Pump
- Skimmer requires an additional feed pump of 528 GPH
BRS Recommended for tanks up to:
- Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 190 gallons
- Medium Bioload - 240 gallons
- Light Bioload - 320 gallons
- Integrated cylindrical and cone shape chambers help reduce bubble bursting and surface agitation
- Bubble Plate Design - reduces turbulence
- Maximum air flow capacity in compact design
- Micro-adjustable valve for precise water level control
- Twist-lock neck for easy collection cup removal
- Quality construction - CNC machined parts and Georg Fischer fittings
- Requires feed pump of 528 GPH (2000 LPH)
- 3/4" barbed feed input
- 50mm metric PVC output*
*Metric to US plumbing adapters sold separately.
- Body Diameter: 7.87" (200mm)
- Foot Print: 10.87” x 14.76” (276mm x 375mm)
- Total Height: 22.83” (580mm)
- Cup Diameter: 202mm
ES5000 Needlewheel Pump Features:
- Skimz worked with an Italian pump manufacturer, using advanced material for the needlewheel impeller, seamless-coated rare earth magnet for durability and high performance.
- Air Draw: 254 GPH (960 LPH)
- Power Consumption: 20 Watts
- Warranty for Original Purchaser against defective material and workmanship that occurs during normal use.
- 2 Year Warranty on skimmer body
- 1 Year Warranty on pump
Set it and forget it By shane on 11/28/2019shane would recommend this product to a friendI’ve had this skimmer running for four years now, its been running great since day 1. Easy to tune and reliable. Easy to maintain too.
amazing By Tyler on 5/11/2019Tyler would recommend this product to a friendthis skimmer has been running on my tank for about 5 months, and so far it went way beyond my expectations. it repalced a nyos quantum which is not easy to do
Awesome skimmer By ivan on 5/31/2018ivan would recommend this product to a friendGreat skimmer with great foam action.
Recommend By RDavidW on 2/12/2017RDavidW would recommend this product to a friendI have been running this on my 150 gal reef tank for over a year now and its been great. I have a biopellet reactor (Aquamaxx XL) plumbed in-line to the skimmer and the flow rates match up well. Easy to adjust and getting substantially and consonantly more nasty skimate. It also fit under my tank and is still easy to access to clean. good build quality as well. Works well, I recommend it.
So far so good By Nathan on 6/20/2016Nathan would recommend this product to a friendI should have bought a new skimmer a long time ago. This was easy to setup and had a very predictable and quick break in period. The best part is it is easy to adjust. This thing is pulling all kinds of nasty stuff out of my water.
Great skimmer! By Jeremy on 1/27/2016Jeremy would recommend this product to a friendI debated quite a while on a skimmer upgrade. I am glad I purchased this unit. It works wonderfully. It took about a week to break in but tuned in well! It is super quiet and well made. I like the versatility of the external option although I have it in a sump. This way the feed cycle and variable maintenance will not effect the output of skimate. Love it!
nice and very good quality By brad on 7/6/2015brad would recommend this product to a friendVery good quality parts and fittings. Perfect squatty height for limited space. Pulls like crazy. quiet...also will go internal. Very happy with it,but could use more comprehensive instructions.
This is actually an "external" skimmer, which can be run outside the sump, correct? However, based on the description and answers to previous questions it can also be run internally. When run inside the sump with it's own pump, the depth of the water in the skimmer section of the sump does not actually affect the performance of the skimmer, other than with regard to the outlet, correct?
Is the Skimz Monzter SM202 External Protein Skimmer discontinued? The reason I ask is it have been out of stock for a long time.
What is the diameter of the neck going into the collection cup?
Also, all of the photos online and on your site show skimmers in the sump. For reefers not accustomed to external plumbing it would be reassuring to see an example of one. Perhaps you already have a Randy video on this.
The neck diameter of this skimmer is 100mm.
I will pass that request on to Ryan and Randy for a future video!
Looking at buying SM202.
1) What feed pump would you suggest
2) Can the feed pump and the return be in the same chamber of water
2) That isn't any issue at all.
How would you connect a host to the drain line on the cup for say a Daley Jones Skimmate Locker?
Is there an max water hight that this skimmer can operate in?
I just got an SM 202 skimz. How do yo clean the skimmer body? Since it does not disassemble.
1. What is the output height inches for the Skimz Monzter SM202? Is there a way to extend the output height?
2. I see that the total height is 22.83”. My cabinet is 24.5" will I need more then an inch and a half clearance?
3. I have a 150 gallon reef tank that has been running with a small outdated skimmer for almost 20 years - would moving up to the SM252 be overkill for this size tank?
The bottom of the return pipe sits at 10 1/4" inches. The absolute minimum height to allow you to remove the cup would be about 23 3/4". 24" would be comfortable but a little tight so 24 1/2" would be fine. Just make sure you have the room to clear any other obstacles to actually get the cup out from under the cabinet once removed.
I think the SM202 would be plenty of skimmer for your system and you are going to be amazed at what your old one wasn't pulling out! The SM252 is probably going to be overkill unless you have a ton of fish and feed heavily.
I hope this helps!
Have a great day :)