Salifert Potassium Aquarium Test Kit
Having a reliable and easy to use potassium test kit is hard to come by. Salifert test kits have been trusted by discerning reefers for years for their ease of use and reliability. Many other test kits are hard to use and consume your valuable time. The average test using this kit should easily take under 5 minutes and give you a reading that can be repeated time and time again.
- Contains up to 40 potassium tests.
If you are dosing potassium, the ability to monitor and measure how much you are adding is invaluable. Potassium levels in natural seawater is normally around 400 ppm. Many reefers will report loss of coloration in corals when potassium level start to drop below 360 ppm.
- Before commencing with each test it is very important to clean the nozzle (including the tip) of the K-3 dropper bottle with a paper tissue. Even if the nozzle looks clean and dry. Do this by applying a slight pressure on the tissue while cleaning.
- Do NOT put the cap back on the K-3 bottle until the test has been completed.
- An extra testing vial is included with the kit for convenience and only a one vial is needed for a single test. That lets you to use one vial while the other is being cleaned. With potassium test kits it is important to keep reagent tips, syringes and testing vials clean for reliable readings.
- Holding the reagent bottle directly vertical will allow for even and consistent drops making readings reliable and repeatable.
- With the unlabeled syringe add 1mL of aquarium water to the test vial. There will be a small air bubble (approx. 0.05 mL) in the syringe do NOT attempt to remove the air bubble.
- Add 0.5 mL of K-1 using the red labeled syringe in the test vial. There will be a small air bubble (approx. 0.05 mL) in the syringe do NOT attempt to remove the air bubble. Swirl the test vial gently for at least 20 seconds.
- Add to the test vial 3 drops of K-2 while holding the dropper bottle in a vertical position. There is no need to swirl the test vial after this step.
- Add to the test vial K-3 one drop at a time, while holding the dropper bottle in a vertical position. Swirl the test vial for 2 seconds in between each drop of reagent. Continue adding K-3 while counting drops and swirling between each until the color changes from a white or yellowish color to a baby blue / light blue color. The change is very dramatic.
- After color change is complete compare number of drops to ppm potassium chart below.
|Drops of K-3||ppm of Potassium|
- 20ml K-1 Liquid Reagent
- 10ml K-2 Liquid Reagent
- 10ml K-3 Liquid Reagent
- 2x 1mL Syringe
- 2x Testing Vials
Login and Registration Form