The Tunze RO Water Controller 8555 is used to regulate the water level in your fresh water storage container. It uses two float switches to control an electronic valve. When the water level drops below the first float switch, the valve is opened allowing the container to fill until it reaches the second float switch and the valve turns off. The Tunze RO Water Controller 8555 also features a timer backup that can be set to either 12 or 24 hours. If the float switch hasn’t been triggered off within the set time the valve will close and an alarm will be activated.
Item #: 8555.000
Terrible Quality By William on 7/15/2018William wouldn't recommend this product to a friendMy intended application for this unit was to auto-fill a 5g reservoir of RO/DI water under my tank stand. I also used a float switch after the Tunze solenoid as a backup.
1) As others have noted, the mounting system for this product is garbage. Tunze has magnetic mounts available and should include them instead of the cheap rail.
2) As JM as noted, the 12/24 hour timer is useless for many applications. And my noted application in particular. An adjustable timer would be awesome.
3) Worst, as also noted by Ted, the floats themselves are absolutely terrible quality. I had my unit dump several gallons of water onto my wood floor. The floats were constantly sticking and not triggering the system. And yes. My float backup also failed to spill the water. And since they are directly wired into the electronics, you have to cut and splice to use anything else.
The controller itself seems fairly competent. But there is no way I would trust this thing with any application that doesn't involve a drain below it for handling failures. I'm getting rid of it and switching to a custom setup instead.
Great unit! Terrible mount! By John on 3/30/2018John would recommend this product to a friendI’ll make this short and sweet. I’m usually generous when it comes to reviews and rarely leave bad reviews, but I can’t in good conscience rate this thing at 5 stars as much as I want to. In fact, I was hesitant to leave 2 stars based on one single factor that just irked me...
The mounting system for these float switches is absolute garbage! Cheap material, someone made something so simple way too difficult, and you’re still very limited to what you can use this mount with.
That’s it. It’s a fantastic unit, but I’m a bit irritated that I spent the money I did on this unit for a terrible afterthought of a mounting solution. Tunze, I’m disappointed. You’d be better off not including the mounting brackets.
Again, great unit! But the mounting solution was enough for me to deduct 3 stars...
Good By Cc on 3/2/2018Cc would recommend this product to a friendI just installed it, I tested operation when high and low levels are triggered, works as intended. I installed a float as a redundancy in case of a solenoid failure.
WORKS GREAT By NO on 2/16/2018NO would recommend this product to a friendINSTALLED IT WITH A SECONDARY FLOAT VALVE IN CASE IT FAILS I HAVE A REDUNDANCY BACK UP THAT SHUTS THE RO UNIT OFF
Automates RO refill, has a few limitations By JM on 2/5/2018JM would recommend this product to a friendInstalled this unit recently. It works as advertised, and fills the RO chamber on my Reefer 450 roughly every 36 hours. I have a backup float valve installed, in the event that high level sensor ever malfunctions, and (as always) such a backup is mandatory to get the safety-in-depth you need for any automated system that has ability to put unlimited flow into your setup.
There's 2 issues with this product that would improve it immensely:
1) the auto-shutoff timer is a great idea, but the 12/24 hour settings are WAY too long for my application. My RODI system takes about 15 minutes to refill my (smallish) RO tank on the Reefer 450. And adjustable timer (say, 1 hour) would be a far better safety backup for this system. Should be an easy fix for Tunze.
2) the sensor mounting brackets are basically junk. The "rail" system is poorly thought, the instructions are worse than useless (showing the use of screws which don't physically fit any of the included parts), and the system is just barely functional after making several mods. The mounting system otherwise spoils and excellent product here, and this is the reason for my 4-star rating (as opposed to 5-stars), which this system deserves if you had good quality magnetic-mounts like the Tunze ATO.
Despite these problems, this product is unique and the safest way to automate refills of ATO reservoirs from an RODI system.
I like the Product By Greg on 4/2/2017Greg would recommend this product to a friendI do not use a reservoir to top off my sump so this system works great with my RO/DI system which I use to top off my sump. It took a little time to configure the rails to work properly in my sump, I needed to connect both rails together to make them long enough. The system works great no problems. Should have bought it 2 years ago.
Float sticks, flooding By Ted on 3/12/2017Ted wouldn't recommend this product to a friendOn several occasions the upper float valve (shut off) has stuck and caused the fresh water reservoir to overflow onto the floor.
good product By mike on 3/1/2015mike would recommend this product to a friendI replaced my failed unit that had a vacuum type trigger that suction cupped on to the side of the tank with this unit. I like the floats better but the railing system is cheesey. I had to retrofit some things to make it work, so it took a little more time to get it in and then adjusting it was a little tough. But all in all it was the best one out of all the ones I saw.
Excellent By T on 11/28/2014T would recommend this product to a friendWell built great product to control water supply line to your reserve top off tank. Have a separate system that taps reserve water to sump ATO
Good but By CalgaryGuy on 2/10/2014CalgaryGuy would recommend this product to a friendThe product is pretty sturdy and clamps closed if it loses power. It takes away the 'did I shut it off?' panic attacks at four in the morning or on your way to work.
My only issue is that it does not come with the magnetic holders for the sensors like the ATO units do. It comes with rails to mount the sensor but unless you have a perfectly flat side with access to hang the rail they don't work.
I wish they'd kept the cheapo rails and included the magnetic holders instead.
What is the default position of the value if the power is cut (i.e., during a power outage)?
The default position of the solenoid is closed to prevent issues. Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions!