Purigen is a uniquely engineered synthetic adsorbent media that can dramatically improve water quality, reducing organic wastes, colors, and odors in a very short time. This premium media works similarly to high-end activated carbons, utilizing extremely tiny pores throughout the polymer structure to rapidly attract and remove soluble and insoluble impurities from your aquarium water. Based on Seachem’s testing, Purigen can outperform other traditional competing medias by over 500%. Purigen will quickly remove organic wastes from the water before they have a chance to break down and impact water quality. This can short circuit the production of nitrates by removing their precursor products. At the same time, because Purigen targets organic molecules, it will not significantly affect trace elements. Purigen also darkens as it exhausts, providing a visual indicator for maintenance.
- Highest organic removal capacity
- Possesses enhanced capacity owing to its vast surface area; both spherical and macroreticular
- Helps control ammonia/nitrite/nitrate
- Color changes as it exhausts; easily regenerated
Purigen extremely effective and can provide visible reduction in haziness and water coloration from organics more quickly than almost any other product on the market. Purigen is specifically designed to be an organic scavenger. Purigen generally ignores simple elemental compounds, having an extreme affinity for nitrogenous organics. As a result, Purigen will not target metals and other contaminants, which allows it to work for extended periods of time targeting organic waste products that can lead to yellowing and odors in your tank. Purigen removes that waste faster and more completely than anything else on the market.
Available in 7 Sizes
- 100 mL
- 250 mL
- 500 mL
- 1 Liter
- 2 Liters
- 4 Liters
- 20 Liters
Directions for Use
- Rinse before use.
- Use in a fine mesh (180 micron or less) filter bag.
- Each 250 mL treats up to 1,000 L (250 US gallons) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.
- For best results, Purigen should be placed so as to maximize the flow of water through it. It may be used in a media reactor, canister filter media chamber, box filter, or any high flow area of a trickle filter.
- Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children.
- Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of dechlorinator per cup of water.
- Rinse well.
- Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen is ready for reuse.
Note: Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach).
Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.
|SKU||Purigen Filter Media - Seachem|