- Home /
- Build Your Own Reverse Osmosis System
Excellent Product and Serivce By Gweezpie on 5/6/13Gweezpie would recommend this product to a friendI have recently just returned to reef keeping and obviously need some supplies. Since I left, there seems to be some new suppliers that did not exist when I was in the hobby. BRS is a new one for me. After doing research on a new RO/DI system, I decided to go with BRS. I used the build your own option, and I am extremely happy with the overall build quality of this unit. Additionally, I chose to have BRS review my filter selection, and they pointed out how the unit actually needed to be configured to work properly and made the changes. Great service and quality. A new “go to” vendor for me. Thanks
Best deal for the best product By Stephen on 3/31/13Stephen would recommend this product to a friendI would not be able to build my own system from used parts on ebay that I got this system for (new with filters!) from BRS. It was bubble wrapped, stuffed in peanuts and boxed with care. I couldn't be happier.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND:
Oil pressure guage (you need to know your house pressure is ok)
Flush valve (prolongs the life of your membrane)
Dual TDS meter (see the results and when to change filters)
I got the RO tube cutter, but you can honestly do without.
I should have gotten the 150gpd water saver upgrade though...
The Best RO System By Jeremy on 2/20/13Jeremy would recommend this product to a friendI chose the build your own RO system because of the flexibility to take care of the impurities in my municipal water supply. The product I received had a cracked housing but with the great support BRS offers, the replacement part was here and the system was up and running in no time.
great r/o unit By andrew on 2/17/13andrew would recommend this product to a friendBRS makes it easy to get exactly what you want in your build your own unit. love it. thanks
Great Ro System By steven on 1/11/13steven would recommend this product to a friendFast turn around time got my RO system in 2 days.Every thing is working great got 68 psi going the the RO membrane.PPM was 290 and final PPM is around 7-10.Love the system.
Very happy By CACrimson on 1/4/13CACrimson would recommend this product to a friendI am in the process of putting together my first plant aquarium (and eventually reef system down the road) and realized I needed to get an RO/DI system. I chose to build my own because I did not need all of the inlet adapters that were included and I wanted to get the 150 gpd system as well as the drinking water kit and chloramine filters because Los Angeles is using chloramines now.
I couldn't be happier. Although it took me a little longer than the estimated 30 minutes primarily because I had to make a trip to Home Depot for a valve adapter because my water lines are 1/2" and I had to move my second sink drain to fit the drinking water tank, it was not overly difficult for the typical DIYer.
In the end, we have a plumbed in RO system with a faucet for drinking water that removes chloramines, as well as a dual canister DI system which I am going to connect to a holding tank yet to be purchased with the float valve purchased from BRS. It will all be automatic which is great. You can set it and forget it.
I wasn't sure that I was ordering the right stuff and the sales office called me immediately to confirm. Top notch customer service!
For those interested, I am in West LA:
My municipal water: 260 PPM
Using a PUR canister filter: 188 PPM
With the BRS RO: 5 PPM
With the BRS RO/Dual DI: 0 PPM!!!
Great Pice By William on 11/24/12William would recommend this product to a friendThis thing is awesome! I have had many of these in the past and this one performs just as good if not better than the big name ones. The replacement filter and resin is is a great value along with the whole unit.
Wouldn't buy any other RO/DI system By Tim on 10/17/12Tim would recommend this product to a friendThis is a great value and brought my TDS from around 300 to 0. I wouldn't ever buy an RO/Di system anywhere else. They even make it easy to replace filters. Stop looking at other units anywhere else and get one of these for the best quality around.
awesome porduct By Brian on 9/12/12Brian would recommend this product to a friendI built my system the way i wanted it and with the features that i wanted. cleans my house water with a tds of 430 down to 6-10 tds. silent and very sturdy glad i ordered my o unit from here.
Awesome stuff By Craig on 8/25/12Craig would recommend this product to a friendYou can't beat the BRS build your own RODI you get exactly what you want great quality. can't say enough about it.
Build your own RODI By Craig on 8/25/12Craig would recommend this product to a friendI built my RODI with BRS and couldn't be happier it's been almost a year and It works great great product excellent construction and quality parts you can't beat the BRS RODI units.
5 Micron Sediment Filter
5 Micron Carbon Block (cto/2)
1 Micron Carbon Block (+1)
Stage Four (Membrane)
75 Gallons Per Day (98% Rejection)
Stage Five (on it's own bracket)
Dual TDS Meter (DM-1), Pressure Gauge (air), Flush Kit
Water and Drain Supply
Laundry Tub and Garden Hose Adapter
Amazing service, amazing product By Corey on 7/28/12Corey would recommend this product to a friendgreat product. got it with in 5 days and was making water within minutes, made with heavy duty material NO cheap parts used here
There are no videos related to this product.
Ask a Question About 'Build Your Own Reverse Osmosis System'
Previously Asked Questions
by Josh on May 10, 2013, @8:32 AM
To include the "BRS 150 GPD Water Saver Upgrade Kit," is it necessary to select the "150 GPD Uses Two 75 GPD Membranes" option in stage 4? Or should the 75 GPD option be selected, since the upgrade kit comes with another membrane?
Bulk Reef Supply Hey Josh,
For the 150gpd water saving kit you would want to choose the "150 GPD uses two 75gpd Membranes" option. You then wouldn't need to purchase the kit.
by Jeff on March 31, 2013, @9:02 PM
If you create a build your own system and choose the catalytic carbon canister does it also come with the carbon flush as well as the chloramine systems?
Bulk Reef Supply Hey Jeff,
It would not. It would be the same as a standard system just with this filters in there place. What exactly are you trying to build? Unless there is really special circumstances 99% of people would get a better value with one of the pre-built systems so there might be a better alternative as well.
by David on February 11, 2013, @12:08 PM
In the build your own system are the filters standard sized or the reduced value size?
Bulk Reef Supply Hey David,
All of our units use standard 10" filters.
Custom Build your RO system and tune it to your specs.
Choose a sediment filter: Sediment filters reduce rust and larger particulate matter.
- 5 micron is the most common choice.
- Only choose the 1 micron if you know your water supply has lots of extremely small sediment in it.
NOTE: 1 micron filter will:
- Clog faster and require more frequent replacement
- Clog faster and pressure will drop and hurt the performance of your system.
Choose a sediment filter or carbon block: Choose another sediment filer if you have extremely bad sediment problems (rare).
- The most common choice for this is the 5 micron CTO/2 carbon block. The carbon block will remove chlorine and other VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) from your water supply.
- The 1 micron +1 carbon block can also be used here but it may get clogged quickly and cause a drop pressure. If you have chloramines in your water supply (not the same as chlorine) you can use the granulated catalytic carbon or the ChlorPlus cartridge. The catalytic carbon is dusty and must be flushed before use. The ChlorPlus is a carbon block and much easier to use. Around 10% of U.S cities’ water supply uses chloramines, you can call your city hall and ask if you would like to find out. If you are building a three stage system skip stage three and choose a membrane.
Choose an additional carbon stage or add a DI resin canister.
- The most common choice here is the 1 micron +1 carbon block. Now that the water is already adequately cleaned you can use a 1 micron carbon block without risk of it clogging quickly.
- Another common arrangement is to use an additional 5 micron (CTO/2) carbon block. If you have chloramines you will want to use the ChlorPlus on this stage.
- If you are building a 4 stage RO/DI choose Deionization resin for this stage. DI resin will remove everything that the membrane misses and produce absolutely pure water.
Choose a membrane.
- By far the most common choice is the Dow 75GPD because it offers the best performance and flow rate combination available at common water pressures. The Dow will produce 75 gallons per day at 50 psi and maintains 98% rejection.
- The 100 GPD GE membrane will produce water faster but requires 60 psi and has only a 96% rejection rate. The lower rejection rate will produce lower quality water and consume your DI resin faster.
- The 150 GPD membrane operates at 98% rejection at 65 PSI and is a great option if you have higher than average water pressure or use a booster pump.
- The last option is the water saver option which utilizes two 75 GPD membranes and cuts the waste water in half by feeding the second membrane with the waste water of the first. This option also requires 65 psi to operate and performs best when your homes water supply has below 300 TDS (total dissolved solids)
Add a stand-alone deionization canister.
- A single canister is the most common choice and typically enough to produce absolutely pure water.
- Customers who choose the dual stage do it because they have a dirty water supply and consume resin quickly or because they are on well water and live next to a known source of pollution like factories or farms.
Choose your accessories
- Dual TDS Meter – Measures water purity and insures that the unit is functioning properly. ***Most common accessory***
- Auto Shut off Valve – Required if you want to use a float valve to automatically shut your system down
- Float Valve – Install the float in your water container, when full the float will rise, shut off the water supply and turn your system off
- Ball Valve – Used to manually turn your system off
- Pressure Gauge – Used to monitor the pressure going into your membrane. Pressure will drop as filters get clogged which will help you know when to change them. Also an excellent tool for troubleshooting.
- Flush Kit – Used to flush deposits off the surface of the membrane and extend its life.
- Dual TDS Meter – Measures water purity and insures that the unit is functioning properly.
Choose Water Connection options
- Drain Clamp – Used to permanently attach your waste water line to a sink drain pipe.
- Laundry Tub and Garden Hose Adaptor - Screws on to common laundry tub and garden hose connections to supply water to your system
- Chrome Kitchen Sink Faucet Diverter – Screws on to common kitchen and sink faucets to supply water to your system.
- Self Piercing Valve – Used to permanently attach your system to a water supply pipe. Clamps on to the pipe and you screw in a small needle to make a hole in the pipe which feeds the system.
- Angle Stop adaptor Valve - Used to make a permanent connection to the water supply. 3/8” male threads on one side and 3/8” female threads on the other.
- Pressurized Faucet Kit - Used if you would like to add a faucet and a pressurized tank to your system. Included pieces to bypass the DI.
All BRS Reverse Osmosis units exclusively feature American made DOW, MATRIKX and Purtrex filters. We also use American made Mur-lok dual EPDM O-ring fittings whenever possible on all of our reverse osmosis units. These NSF certified fittings and filters cost us more than inexpensive imports, but set our units apart from the competition.
Deal of the Day!
Auto Shut Off Kit for Reverse Osmosis SystemsEnds in
Regular Price: $24.99
Special Price: $22.9900:00:00:00
- FREE PRIZE$
- Bulk Media & Additives
- Bulk Reverse Osmosis Filters & Systems
- Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand
- BRS Additives
- Red Sea Additives
- Korallen-Zucht Additives
- Two Little Fishies
- Fauna Marin Aquarium Additives
- Auto Top Off Systems
- Filter Media
- Fish & Coral Foods
- Fragging Supplies
- Heaters & Chillers
- Medications & Pest Removal
- Monitors & Controllers
- Protein Skimmers
- Sumps, Tanks & Refugiums
- Tank Maintenance & Salt Mix
- UV & Ozone
- Videos & Books
- New Products
Send us your feedback
Let us know.
Hours: 9am -5pm CST M – F
672 Mendelssohn Ave N, MN 55427 Map