Reef Iodide is a concentrated, stabilized potassium iodide source for reef aquaria that will restore and maintain iodide levels to those found in natural sea water. Iodide is an important element required by invertebrates and many soft corals (gorgonians, sarcophytons, etc). Most iodine supplements on the market are simply potassium iodide or a medicinal disinfectant commonly known as Lugol’s Solution. Lugol’s is a highly concentrated iodine/iodide solution that is highly toxic and intended for disinfection. Reef Iodide is formulated to provide a safe source of iodide that will not convert to toxic free iodine under storage or reef conditions.
- Stabilized potassium iodide source
- Safe and easy to use
- Important for soft tissue growth
Available in Six Sizes
- 100 mL
- 250 mL
- 500 mL
- 2 Liters
- 4 Liters
- 20 Liters
Amounts per 1 g
- Iodide (I) (min.): 8 mg
Add 5 mL (1 capful) for each 50 US gallons (200 liters) every other day.
- Add 1 mL for each 20 US gallons (80 liters) daily to raise iodide by 0.10 mg/L.
- If necessary, adjust amount so that iodide reads 0.06–0.08 mg/L 6–12 hours after the last amount.
- Thereafter, use this amount daily and check iodide twice a month.
- After determining the iodide consumption rate, set up a continuous drip system.
- Use the following formula (or skip the math and use our Dosage Calculator) to determine how much to add to your top-off water:
m=0.125vi (m=mL of product to add to top off water, v=volume of tank in liters, i=amount to raise iodide in mg/L).
Example: If you want to raise iodide by 0.10 mg/L in a 200 liter tank, then you would add 0.125x200x0.10=2.5 mL into the top-off water. [For reference: 1 gallon=3.8 L].
Note: It is normal for iodide levels to decline after a few days. This results from utilization and chemical depletion. Therefore, amount and/or frequency of use can be varied. Amount used can be adjusted based on coral response.
|SKU||Reef Iodide - Liquid Iodide Additive - Seachem|