Top 5 Tips to Reduce DI Resin Consumption in Your RO System
5. Pack the DI Resin Tightly. The mixed bed resin is a mix of positively and negatively charged beads. If the beads are not packed tightly, they will separate in the cartridge and the resin will be depleted prematurely.
4. TDS Creep. TDS creep refers to the total dissolved solids of the initial water flow when the system is turned on. When the RO membrane shuts down there is high TDS tap water on one side of the membrane and very low TDS on the other. Once the system is turned off the water on each side wants to find a equilibrium which causes the TDS to rise in the product water side. So for the first minute or so, the water coming out of the system has a higher TDS. This can deplete the resin more quickly. By adding a three way valve you can drain off this initial water and thus not have it enter the system.
3. Maintain and your Membrane. A high performing membrane will remove as much as 98% of the TDS (total dissolved solids). Flush the deposits from the membrane with a flush kit and feed the membrane with at least 50psi. A booster pump may be required.
2. Improper Storage. Resin is depleted when it comes in contact with carbon dioxide in the air. Packaged and stored DI resin should be packed in a thick mylar bag and even better if foil-lined and even better than that - vacuum-sealed.
1. HIgh Levels of Carbon Dioxide in Water Supply.
Best solution for this is to fill your storage container with RO water first. Then throw in a pump or air stone to let the excess carbon dioxide gas off over a couple days. Then use a dosing pump, slow gravity feed or other solution to send the water through the resin. You should try to limit the flow through the resin to a few gallons an hour similar to your RO systems flow rate for best results.
The easiest way to know if your levels are too high is to use a calculator found on the internet.
Do you use any of these tricks to reduce the DI resin in your RO system?
The purpose and content of this video is to provide general information regarding the products and their applications as presented in the video. Aquatic sales solutions, inc. And its officers, directors, employees and agents disclaim all express or implied warranties, in any way, related to the products and their application as presented in this video, make no representation or warranty regarding the products and the application as presented in this video and shall not be liable for any direct or indirect losses or damages of any type, including but not limited to punitive damages, or from personal injury or death resulting from or in any manner related to the video, and the products in and contents of the video. The viewer expressly agrees that aquatic sales solutions, inc. And its officers, directors, employees and agents shall not be liable for any damages or losses related to the products in and content of the video and hereby agrees to hold the foregoing harmless from any such losses or damages.