- Home /
- VorTech MP40w ES Propeller Pump
Better than I expected! By Randy on 4/23/13Randy would recommend this product to a friendMy biggest concern before purchasing and running was if it was going to move enough water in the hard to get to places, especially for the price and the fact that you can't aim them, but with the undertow it creates there are no problems. I admit, I am cycling and haven't seen how it performs with corals, but after watching movement of bubbles and food (generating ammonia) I have no worries. If these are in your price range I don't think you can really go wrong. Oh! And much more silent than I have read concerns about too.
Review of VorTech MP40w ES By Reefkeeper057 on 4/8/13Reefkeeper057 would recommend this product to a friendThe VorTech MP40w ES was the first adjustable flow water pump I have purchased. Admitedly there were two concerns I had prior to the purchase, even after considerable research. The first was the price and the second was many reviews that referenced how loud it operated.
The MP40w ES was purchased to go on my 55g soft coral tank and replace my existing water pumps, a Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 and Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050 (that's right 1050).
I left the Koralia 600 in place. When facing the tank, it is mounted on the upper left hand side of the tank, toward the back, pointed behind about 50lbs of liverock. This is to keep deadspots at a minimum. The MP40 is mounted where the Koralia 1050 was, on the right side of the tank facing the opposite direction, toward the front and about 4" from the water line.
First off, READ THE DIRECTIONS. I wanted to see this thing in action immediately and it took great restraint not to just hook this thing up and turn it on. Remember the second concern I had with this pump...the noise level? Well, if you don't follow the directions and set the pump up properly I believe this is where many (not all) folks went wrong when they complained about high noise levels.
In my opinion this pump is very quiet. When the MP40 is turned up past 75% max output, it is not as quiet as the Koralia Evolutions. However, it when set to 75% or higher, it only emits a mild hum. For my size tank anything past 50% is too much flow and when you max any piece of equipment out it won't last as long. When set to 50% and below the MP40 is very quiet. To add context to what I define as very quiet....put it this way....I do not want to hear my tank buzzing, huming or splashing. It has to be as quiet as one of those rock fountains. The kind that when you turn it on it sounds like water trickling.
This pump does a great job. When I turned it on it started without any trouble, immediately stired up ditritus, and kept it suspended until it went down the overflow. When the MP40 is set to a constant speed it still seems to have random flow. I watched my soft corals nonstop for about 20 minutes and was very impressed at how their movement was random. This is common sense but one thing to keep in mind if you have corals. Start out slow and see how they react. Changing a powerhead is like changing the lighting. The animals in your tank will need time to adjust. One common problem I have read about is an unsuspecting anenome getting too close to the powerhead and getting chopped up. The MP40 comes with a foam cover so if you have anything that may get caught in it I suggest using the foam initially and see how your critters react.
The bottom line is this pump is expensive but worth the extra money. There are a lot of the MP40 reviews online. Check multiple sources before making a decision to purchase any piece of equipment. This hobby is expensive enough without wasting extra money. Good luck!
Vortech mp 40 By Reyesozaeta on 4/6/13Reyesozaeta would recommend this product to a friendIt'a an expensive pump! Thought it would make a difference in my mixed reef 150. I have a two 1600gph on opposite sides before I added this pump. No major change noted. My corals actually closed up more when I install this pump. Tried different modes and intensity that the corals will respond to. Finally settled at reef crest mode and lagoon at night. The only difference is this pump can change speed
But still a linear pump. I'll probably keep it and see how it goes .
The Best By Terry on 3/21/13Terry would recommend this product to a friendThese pumps are simply the best pumps on the market. I now have 7 of different sizes for different tanks.
Great buy By Ian stone on 3/21/13Ian stone would recommend this product to a friendThese are fantastic pumps i have. 2 on my 72 bowfront an they make a diffrence 2 of theses replaced all 4 Hydor 1400's. i have to say there $$$$$$$. But. Way. Worth it. A little tricky to set up and get use to but once you do u will love them
Works great, but a bit noisy By jeremy on 3/14/13jeremy would recommend this product to a friendI installed this product per mfr recommendations and it rattled, vibrated, and made noise like crazy. I called their service people who spent an hour on the phone with me before concluding the wet side part was defective. They sent me a replacement and it worked great, but still was a tad on the noisy side for my taste.
great pump By mrd on 3/3/13mrd would recommend this product to a friendThese are truly great pumps, I have two on a 120 gallon marine land corner overflow tank. There are no dead spots now and it's not a overpowering jet stream that would damage corals like frog spawn. These pumps are very powerful though, when setup to be. I truly believe I could make waves crash over the top of the tank if I wanted to. Over all these are great pumps with the ability to create any kind of flow your tank requires. If you love your corals the way I do it's a great investment.
Great Pump By JDR on 2/25/13JDR would recommend this product to a friendI had 2 koralia's 1400 and a sicce voyager 3 and this pump blew those away. Just one in a 75g and its doing great, now I got 2 on a 150g
this thing is awesome By chris on 2/21/13chris would recommend this product to a friendI've had mine hooked up for a few days and can't believe how much flow I've got. I haven't had any problems with noise even on the highest setting. Definitely getting another one
Love powerhead but wish it had controller or memory features. By Kevin on 2/19/13Kevin would recommend this product to a friendLove the powerhead. It moves the water in my tank like no other powerhead has. However when you pay almost 500 per powerhead. I think it should definite include control features like radion lights have. But you must buy a controller if you want the powerhead to change modes at another time without you manually doing so.
VorTech plus Apex = Movement By JPRO on 2/16/13JPRO would recommend this product to a friendOn its own the VorTech pump is programmable and moves water like no other pump. Connect the Neptune Apex controller and now the water movement options throughout the day are changing. Awesome products.
Awesome!! By Jeremy on 1/23/13Jeremy would recommend this product to a friendThis thing can really move some water! It's really nice to replace bulky power heads with one of these.
Ask a Question About 'VorTech MP40w ES Propeller Pump'
Previously Asked Questions
No questions have been asked yet.
- Wet Side Dimensions: 3" Diameter x 2.25"Long
- Dry Side Dimensions: 3" Diameter x 2.25" Long
- Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3"
- The MP40W ES uses award-winning technology to let you take full control of the flow. Wireless capability allows for advanced modes and features in which synchronized flow or coordinated flow.
- With all the electrical components outside the aquarium and a variety of easy-to-program modes on the EcoSmart Driver, the VorTech is the safest, most versatile pump on the market.
- No accessories to purchase for wave making or multi-pump use.
- Brushless motor design reduces electricity consumption.
- External motor mounting results in less heat transfer to your tank.
- Adjustable flow rates to best meet the needs of your tank.
- 36 hour battery backup ensures the health of your fish and corals by continuous flow even with a power outage.
- Constant Speed Mode – Set your pump to run continuously at a constant speed.
- EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode (NTM) - A two phase program to promote maximum health and nutrient export, as well as increased growth for corals. Alternates between a resonant standing wave and a surge effect to stir up and export nutrients. EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) - Creates a harmonic balance in your aquarium reminiscent of the changing flow conditions that would be found in nature. Flow varies from left to right, right to left, calm, and ends with a great surge.
- Reef Crest Random Mode - Reef Crest Random Mode simulates the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment. Lagoonal Random Mode - Simulates the gentler reef zone found in a natural lagoon.
- Short Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings between 0.3 and two seconds, enabling the creation of FAST alternating flow throughout the tank. Use this mode to create a resonant standing wave.
- Long Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings of between 2 seconds and 60 seconds, enabling the creation of slow alternating flow throughout the tank.
- Feed Mode - Slows down pump to allow user to feed aquarium. User can select the duration and speed for Feed Mode.
- Night Mode - Automatically reduce speed and operates continuously at that speed for a period of time during the night. User can select the duration and speed for Night Mode.
- Battery Backup Mode - When used with our battery backup accessory, the VorTech pump will switch to Battery Backup Mode in the event of a power outage and will operate at a user set speed. The LED’s on your EcoSmart driver will count down to indicate how much power is available within the battery.
- Auto-Dim - LED’s are turned off and display knob dimmed significantly, but pump functions in its current mode. User can program how long after use before the driver enters Auto-Dim.
- On/Off Switch - Tap the on/off switch to turn off and turn on a pump. Hold this button to turn off all pumps in a master/slave group. Tap any pump in the groups’ on/off switch and that pump will turn back on.
Quick Compare - VorTech Propeller Pumps
|Flow Rate||Power Consumption||Maximum Tank Thickness||Appropriate Tank Size Range||Clearance Needed Behind Tank|
|MP10 ES||200-1500 GPH||8-18 Watts||0.375"||2.5-50 Gallons||2.25"|
|.375" -1"||120-1000+ Gallons||
Deal of the Day!
Milwaukee SMS125 pH/ORP Controller ComboEnds in
Regular Price: $209.99
Special Price: $199.9900:00:00:00
- FREE PRIZE$
- Bulk Media & Additives
- Bulk Reverse Osmosis Filters & Systems
- Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand
- BRS Additives
- Red Sea Additives
- Korallen-Zucht Additives
- Two Little Fishies
- Fauna Marin Aquarium Additives
- Auto Top Off Systems
- Filter Media
- Fish & Coral Foods
- Fragging Supplies
- Heaters & Chillers
- Medications & Pest Removal
- Monitors & Controllers
- Protein Skimmers
- Sumps, Tanks & Refugiums
- Tank Maintenance & Salt Mix
- UV & Ozone
- Videos & Books
- New Products
Send us your feedback
Let us know.
Hours: 9am -5pm CST M – F
672 Mendelssohn Ave N, MN 55427 Map