- Home /
- VorTech MP40w ES Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine
One of the Best Pumps out there. By Rockstar on 11/9/2014Rockstar would recommend this product to a friendive had several pumps for my 300 gallon mixed reef tank, other than ruining the Tunze wave boxes I'm running 2 Vortech 60's on a 300 gallon and the tank is doing great... would never go back to anything else... I've read a lot of reviews on that there loud. i have to say. as i have 2 of the 60's running. one makes no noise at all. its as quiet as a church mouse, where the 2nd one i bought just a few weeks later, does make a little noise... it might be just depends on the one you get. my GF has a Vortech 10 on her 35 tank & u can't hear that one run either... so we have a 10,60.. that are super quiet, then another 60, that has a little noise.... but they work great!!
Pleased overall By William on 11/7/2014William would recommend this product to a friendI purchased 2 of these and really like them. I did have to contact Ecotech about one of the wet sides as it was very loud. The shaft had a lot of play and cause the magnet to wear on the back plastic cap.
Ecotech was very quick in getting me a replacement, unfortunately the replacement was damaged. It had a crack on the magnets plastic coating where it looked like the screw was over tightened. They had me a new one the next day and it resolved the issue.
Overall very pleased with these!
Powerful By Kevin on 11/7/2014Kevin would recommend this product to a friendThis is a nice pump. I hooked this up to a reeflink I got for my radion lights. It's really neat that you can schedule the modes throughout the day with it. I did find that upgrading your vortech to use the reeflink requires you to use your IPad app. I tried it with my PC and it didn't work. It could be because my PC was in a different room.
The flow is great. The control is excellent. I still can't believe how much crap got pulled out into the overflow.
You get what you pay for... By Steven on 11/6/2014Steven would recommend this product to a friendExcellent product from Ecotech, I'm very happy with the performance of these pumps. Worth every penny!
Still leading the pack By jeremy on 11/1/2014jeremy would recommend this product to a friendSure it makes some noise while operating. No you can point it in whatever Direction you want. Yes it's expensive. That all being said nothing else does what this pump does. Especially when paired with another ecotech pump. It transfers no heat. Takes up very little precious room inside of the aquarium. Looks attractive. And creates a plethora of different flows and wave patterns. Pair them up with an apex and you are only limited by your imagination.
Quality piece of equipment By Valerie on 10/5/2014Valerie would recommend this product to a friendThis pump is amazing. I have one on my 90 gallon and it moves a lot of water. All of the program features are great for the corals and my corals have seemed to love the movement of the water. This pump is a little bit noisy but nothing to noticeable because my skimmer is to loud anyways to hear it.
Don't Waste Time on other Pumps By Greg on 8/11/2014Greg would recommend this product to a friendA friend tried to convince me that I wanted Exotechs but I rebelled and went with a Tunze. Don't get me wrong. The Tunze is a great pump and will be working in a new FOWLR I'm building. For a reef though the MPs are amazing. An MP10 on one and end an MP40 on the other of my 90G works wonders with the water. The randomness of the program keeps rock and sand clear. I can even see that behind the rock is staying clean. Add an Apex and it's just that much better.
My only complaint is that they are louder than the Tunze. It's certainly not unbearable but it's there.
MP40w ES IS ABOVE THE REST. By Danny on 7/31/2014Danny would recommend this product to a friendThis pump will out perform any other with ease. The undertow it creates keeps my sandbed clean without disturbing it. I control mine with my reef link and it is very easy to adjust the flow & patterns with my ipad using Ecotech Marine's app. They are worth every penny.
Very nice pump By Marc on 7/20/2014Marc would recommend this product to a friendPurchased this pump to improve my water flow. It does a GREAT job. The only issue is that it does get a bit loud sometimes, but still very happy with my purchase.
Piling On... By Eric on 7/3/2014Eric would recommend this product to a friendI hate to sound like every other reviewer on here, but this pump is absolutely amazing!
My tank is only a few months old and had been running from day one with two Hydor Koralia 1500 GPH powerbeads. Decided that, before I go all reef crazy, I should upgrade to something that provides a bit more dynamic flow, I should replace them with a Vortech MP40 so I ordered one, took it home and installed it in place of both Koralias. I fired it up and was astounded at the amount of garbage it blew out of the live rock and off the substrate!
The pump itself is remarkably quiet considering the motor isn't under water, it's easy to program, easy to clean and much less of an eyesore than other powerbeads I've tried. In fact, I love it so much, I just ordered a second MP40 so I can take full advantage of the capabilities of these remarkable pumps and I can go all SPS crazy with my tank.
Top notch! By Brooks on 6/30/2014Brooks would recommend this product to a friendHad some basic marine land powerbeads and no comparison! These things are built to last! Easy to install and program to my Apex WXM. Got two 40W's. Was a bit concerned due to the high cost but its well worth the investment. The Apex has some real nice programs for setting the MP40's.
best wavemaker By Mario on 6/9/2014Mario would recommend this product to a friendPut off buying these pumps because of cost. I wish I never waited this long. Spent more money in the long run purchasing other pumps. Have my pair connected wireless to my Apex which makes programming much easier than holding buttons down on controller that it comes with. Great water movement on a 72" long aquarium. I've read comments on pump being loud. I just made sure my wet side was lined up with my dry side and vibration sound basically went away.
If you're looking for an aquarium pump that isn't ...
Previously Asked Questions
by Danny on May 1, 2014, @1:39 PM
I have a 220gl reef tank. Can use one pm40. Ed w pump?
Bulk Reef Supply Hi Danny,
Usually I would suggest one mp40 for every 2 square feet of tank your trying to cover. Depending on the dimensions of your 220 that likely means about 3 of them if you want it all done via VorTech.
- Wet Side Dimensions: 3" Diameter x 2.25"Long
- Dry Side Dimensions: 3" Diameter x 2.25" Long
- Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3"
- The VorTech MP40W ES uses award-winning technology to let you take full control of the flow. Wireless capability allows for advanced modes and features in which synchronized flow or coordinated flow.
- With all the electrical components outside the aquarium and a variety of easy-to-program modes on the EcoSmart Driver, the VorTech is the safest, most versatile pump on the market.
- No accessories to purchase for wave making or multi-pump use.
- Brushless motor design reduces electricity consumption.
- External motor mounting results in less heat transfer to your tank.
- Adjustable flow rates to best meet the needs of your tank.
- 36 hour battery backup ensures the health of your fish and corals by continuous flow even with a power outage.
- Constant Speed Mode – Set your pump to run continuously at a constant speed.
- EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode (NTM) - A two phase program to promote maximum health and nutrient export, as well as increased growth for corals. Alternates between a resonant standing wave and a surge effect to stir up and export nutrients. EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) - Creates a harmonic balance in your aquarium reminiscent of the changing flow conditions that would be found in nature. Flow varies from left to right, right to left, calm, and ends with a great surge.
- Reef Crest Random Mode - Reef Crest Random Mode simulates the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment. Lagoonal Random Mode - Simulates the gentler reef zone found in a natural lagoon.
- Short Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings between 0.3 and two seconds, enabling the creation of FAST alternating flow throughout the tank. Use this mode to create a resonant standing wave.
- Long Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings of between 2 seconds and 60 seconds, enabling the creation of slow alternating flow throughout the tank.
- Feed Mode - Slows down pump to allow user to feed aquarium. User can select the duration and speed for Feed Mode.
- Night Mode - Automatically reduce speed and operates continuously at that speed for a period of time during the night. User can select the duration and speed for Night Mode.
- Battery Backup Mode - When used with our battery backup accessory, the VorTech pump will switch to Battery Backup Mode in the event of a power outage and will operate at a user set speed. The LED’s on your EcoSmart driver will count down to indicate how much power is available within the battery.
- Auto-Dim - LED’s are turned off and display knob dimmed significantly, but pump functions in its current mode. User can program how long after use before the driver enters Auto-Dim.
- On/Off Switch - Tap the on/off switch to turn off and turn on a pump. Hold this button to turn off all pumps in a master/slave group. Tap any pump in the groups’ on/off switch and that pump will turn back on.
Quick Compare - VorTech Propeller Pumps
|Flow Rate||Power Consumption||Maximum Tank Thickness||Appropriate Tank Size Range||Clearance Needed Behind Tank|
|MP10 ES||200-1500 GPH||8-18 Watts||0.375"||2.5-50 Gallons||2.25"|
|.375" -1"||120-1000+ Gallons||
Deal of the Day!
BRS Bulk GFO Granular Ferric Oxide - High CapacityEnds in00:00:00:00
Deal of the Day!
Vertex Omega 150 Protein SkimmerEnds in
Regular Price: $399.99
Special Price: $249.9900:00:00:00
Deal of the Day!
Vertex Omega 130 Protein SkimmerEnds in
Regular Price: $319.99
Special Price: $199.9900:00:00:00
Deal of the Day!
hw-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix 160 GallonsEnds in
Regular Price: $76.99
Special Price: $49.9900:00:00:00
Deal of the Day!
Vertex Omega 180i Protein SkimmerEnds in
Regular Price: $499.99
Special Price: $319.9900:00:00:00
- Black Friday Deals & Doorbusters
- Bulk Media & Additives
- Bulk Reverse Osmosis Filters & Systems
- Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand
- Auto Top Off Systems
- Calcium, Alkalinity & Trace Elements
- Controllers, Monitors & Testing
- Filter Media
- Fish & Coral Foods
- Fragging Supplies
- Heaters & Chillers
- Pumps & Plumbing
- Salt Mix & Tank Maintenance
Skimmers & Reactors
- Internal Protein Skimmers
- External Protein Skimmers
- Hang On Skimmers
- Ozone Equipment
- Nano Skimmers & Accessories
- UV Sterilizers
- Sumps, Tanks & Refugiums
- Specials, New & BRS Gear
Send us your feedback
Let us know.
Phone Hours: 7am - 7pm CST M-F
6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400
Golden Valley, MN 55427 Map
View Larger Map 6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400, Golden Valley, MN 55427