- Home /
- VorTech MP40w ES Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine
Don't Waste Time on other Pumps By Greg on 8/11/2014Greg would recommend this product to a friendA friend tried to convince me that I wanted Exotechs but I rebelled and went with a Tunze. Don't get me wrong. The Tunze is a great pump and will be working in a new FOWLR I'm building. For a reef though the MPs are amazing. An MP10 on one and end an MP40 on the other of my 90G works wonders with the water. The randomness of the program keeps rock and sand clear. I can even see that behind the rock is staying clean. Add an Apex and it's just that much better.
My only complaint is that they are louder than the Tunze. It's certainly not unbearable but it's there.
MP40w ES IS ABOVE THE REST. By Danny on 7/31/2014Danny would recommend this product to a friendThis pump will out perform any other with ease. The undertow it creates keeps my sandbed clean without disturbing it. I control mine with my reef link and it is very easy to adjust the flow & patterns with my ipad using Ecotech Marine's app. They are worth every penny.
Very nice pump By Marc on 7/20/2014Marc would recommend this product to a friendPurchased this pump to improve my water flow. It does a GREAT job. The only issue is that it does get a bit loud sometimes, but still very happy with my purchase.
Piling On... By Eric on 7/3/2014Eric would recommend this product to a friendI hate to sound like every other reviewer on here, but this pump is absolutely amazing!
My tank is only a few months old and had been running from day one with two Hydor Koralia 1500 GPH powerbeads. Decided that, before I go all reef crazy, I should upgrade to something that provides a bit more dynamic flow, I should replace them with a Vortech MP40 so I ordered one, took it home and installed it in place of both Koralias. I fired it up and was astounded at the amount of garbage it blew out of the live rock and off the substrate!
The pump itself is remarkably quiet considering the motor isn't under water, it's easy to program, easy to clean and much less of an eyesore than other powerbeads I've tried. In fact, I love it so much, I just ordered a second MP40 so I can take full advantage of the capabilities of these remarkable pumps and I can go all SPS crazy with my tank.
Top notch! By Brooks on 6/30/2014Brooks would recommend this product to a friendHad some basic marine land powerbeads and no comparison! These things are built to last! Easy to install and program to my Apex WXM. Got two 40W's. Was a bit concerned due to the high cost but its well worth the investment. The Apex has some real nice programs for setting the MP40's.
best wavemaker By Mario on 6/9/2014Mario would recommend this product to a friendPut off buying these pumps because of cost. I wish I never waited this long. Spent more money in the long run purchasing other pumps. Have my pair connected wireless to my Apex which makes programming much easier than holding buttons down on controller that it comes with. Great water movement on a 72" long aquarium. I've read comments on pump being loud. I just made sure my wet side was lined up with my dry side and vibration sound basically went away.
Extremely powerful By Chris on 5/28/2014Chris would recommend this product to a friendVery powerful pump. teamed with a Apex the flow is very customizable. They are considerably larger than the MP10's, but much stronger. Would definitely buy more of them if I had a need.
Top Notch By Chris on 5/16/2014Chris would recommend this product to a friendOne of these pumps out performed all three of the pumps combined i had in the tank previously. Installation is a breeze, and they very little visual space in the display.
Wetside is a crap quality garbage By Jerry on 5/10/2014Jerry wouldn't recommend this product to a friendI bought a VorTech MP40W a couple weeks ago from BulkReefSupply.com. The device is brand new with manufacture date Feb 17, 2014.
Today I was trying to set it up. I know it will be noisy, but the worst story comes. The entire wetside part stuck from running. The magnet in the wetside assembly keeps grinding the plastic cap. I opened the wetside assembly, and found that the axis of the wetside is not even stable. The magnet disk keeps shaking and touches the back plastic cap, eventully grinned it and stuck. Now the funny thing is, after a few times of retry, it seems the plastic is melted and stick together with the magnet disk. I could not even open the wetside assembly now.
I will call BulkReefSupply and VorTech on Monday to find out why. This whole thing stopped working in less than 2 minutes of operation, not even touch the water. What a crap.
Expensive, But Nothing Else Like It. By Chris on 5/4/2014Chris would recommend this product to a friend$465 is ALOT of money for a pump, almost too much for me, but I made the plunge about a year ago and I can say now I believe they are worth every penny.
Vortechs really shine when you have them hooked up to a aquarium controller such as Ecotech's Reeflink or a Neptune Apex. I would encourage anyone considering one of these to also pickup one of those as well. Adjusting the modes automatically throughout the day to change around the flow patterns has really helped my SPS dominant tank. There is a small learning curve with the programming but it is time well spent. I couldn't imagine going back to static on/off type powerheads.
I liked the first one so much I recently added a second MP40 for the opposite side of my 120.
This pump rocks! By Chris on 4/30/2014Chris would recommend this product to a friendIt will send a wave across a 6 foot tank, it's a challenge to program, the service is near perfect, all in all best pump hands down. That said, if you have anything dumb enough to swim into this, your going to loose him.....
The foam covers are cheap/worthless and until Vortech comes out with something better watch out for your inverts!
Pricey but Fantastic By Shane on 4/30/2014Shane would recommend this product to a friendThe MP40 is a fantastic pump - but pricey. Like most folks, I have a pair of them so they can work off of each other. Very solid build - highly recommend a single or a set of these to folks that have descent sized tanks and like a lot of flow. Be careful with your sand size.
There are no videos related to this product.
Previously Asked Questions
by Danny on May 1, 2014, @1:39 PM
I have a 220gl reef tank. Can use one pm40. Ed w pump?
Bulk Reef Supply Hi Danny,
Usually I would suggest one mp40 for every 2 square feet of tank your trying to cover. Depending on the dimensions of your 220 that likely means about 3 of them if you want it all done via VorTech.
Go In-depth - CLICK HERE for BRS Product Write Up on the ReefLink from EcoTech Marine
- Wet Side Dimensions: 3" Diameter x 2.25"Long
- Dry Side Dimensions: 3" Diameter x 2.25" Long
- Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3"
- The VorTech MP40W ES uses award-winning technology to let you take full control of the flow. Wireless capability allows for advanced modes and features in which synchronized flow or coordinated flow.
- With all the electrical components outside the aquarium and a variety of easy-to-program modes on the EcoSmart Driver, the VorTech is the safest, most versatile pump on the market.
- No accessories to purchase for wave making or multi-pump use.
- Brushless motor design reduces electricity consumption.
- External motor mounting results in less heat transfer to your tank.
- Adjustable flow rates to best meet the needs of your tank.
- 36 hour battery backup ensures the health of your fish and corals by continuous flow even with a power outage.
- Constant Speed Mode – Set your pump to run continuously at a constant speed.
- EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode (NTM) - A two phase program to promote maximum health and nutrient export, as well as increased growth for corals. Alternates between a resonant standing wave and a surge effect to stir up and export nutrients. EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode (TSM) - Creates a harmonic balance in your aquarium reminiscent of the changing flow conditions that would be found in nature. Flow varies from left to right, right to left, calm, and ends with a great surge.
- Reef Crest Random Mode - Reef Crest Random Mode simulates the high-energy conditions of a natural reef crest environment. Lagoonal Random Mode - Simulates the gentler reef zone found in a natural lagoon.
- Short Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings between 0.3 and two seconds, enabling the creation of FAST alternating flow throughout the tank. Use this mode to create a resonant standing wave.
- Long Pulse Mode - Allows for wave pulse timings of between 2 seconds and 60 seconds, enabling the creation of slow alternating flow throughout the tank.
- Feed Mode - Slows down pump to allow user to feed aquarium. User can select the duration and speed for Feed Mode.
- Night Mode - Automatically reduce speed and operates continuously at that speed for a period of time during the night. User can select the duration and speed for Night Mode.
- Battery Backup Mode - When used with our battery backup accessory, the VorTech pump will switch to Battery Backup Mode in the event of a power outage and will operate at a user set speed. The LED’s on your EcoSmart driver will count down to indicate how much power is available within the battery.
- Auto-Dim - LED’s are turned off and display knob dimmed significantly, but pump functions in its current mode. User can program how long after use before the driver enters Auto-Dim.
- On/Off Switch - Tap the on/off switch to turn off and turn on a pump. Hold this button to turn off all pumps in a master/slave group. Tap any pump in the groups’ on/off switch and that pump will turn back on.
Quick Compare - VorTech Propeller Pumps
|Flow Rate||Power Consumption||Maximum Tank Thickness||Appropriate Tank Size Range||Clearance Needed Behind Tank|
|MP10 ES||200-1500 GPH||8-18 Watts||0.375"||2.5-50 Gallons||2.25"|
|.375" -1"||120-1000+ Gallons||
Deal of the Day!
ReefKeeper Elite Plus - Digital AquaticsEnds in$349.9900:00:00:00
- Bulk Reverse Osmosis Filters & Systems
- Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand
- Aquarium Lighting
- Auto Top Off Systems
- Calcium, Alkalinity & Trace Elements
- Controllers, Monitors & Testing
- Filter Media
- Fish & Coral Foods
- Fragging Supplies
- Heaters & Chillers
- Pumps & Plumbing
- Salt Mix & Tank Maintenance
Skimmers & Reactors
- Internal Protein Skimmers
- External Protein Skimmers
- Hang On Skimmers
- Ozone Equipment
- Nano Skimmers & Accessories
- UV Sterilizers
- Sumps, Tanks & Refugiums
- Specials, New & BRS Gear
Send us your feedback
Let us know.
Phone Hours: 7am - 7pm CST M-Th
10am-4pm CST Friday
6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400
Golden Valley, MN 55427 Map
View Larger Map 6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400, Golden Valley, MN 55427