Great product By Kenneth on 5/6/13
Kenneth would recommend this product to a friend
I bought this unit about 7 months ago and it works great. It almost makes the aquarium a set it and forget it. It monitors everything I need it to and it keeps me informed of my water peramiters.
Good but very confusing By Bob on 2/27/13
Bob would recommend this product to a friend
Its very helpful and i like it, but haven't figured out the wavemaker setup. Ive had it for several weeks at isnt that easy to work with. Also dont call digital aquatics for help I couldnt even get a hold of their sales rep just call BRS they were very helpful and I got it up and working after i called them.
Elite, head unit By Jim on 12/25/12
Jim would recommend this product to a friend
I would agree with most of the reviews on here. The product is great but comes with no instructions. Thanks BRS for the videos. I have purchased the elite/ net package. The only thing differant I would like to see is a more aquarium safe RKE, Head unit. I did have a small spill (My Fault) and had the head unit laying on the sump self (Was still trying to figure out where I wanted to mount it) Head unit got wet a little salt water and fried!!! Would like Digital Aquatics to make a better sealed unit to maybe withstand a small spill. Like another review on here, you really need one more power strip and a few other cables. Due to warranty will not cover water damage, I have decided to just purchase the elite plus package. By the time I buy another RKE Head and another power strip, for just a little more, I will have a spare SID card, Power Strip, and cables. OVER ALL, LOVE THE PRODUCT!!!!
Item is only 7months old and they WONT stand behind their 2 year warranty By ScrewedByThisCompany on 12/18/12
ScrewedByThisCompany wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
Overall the product is SoSo. They are not in the same ball park with companies and products like Vortech and Digital Aquatics. I say this because their salinity meter is poor and their product support is well below par.
I dropped $500 on the Elite module about 6-7 months ago. It stopped working and tried to call in for which their phones were not working and would just hang up when you call or give busy signal. Thankfully their was email. I had to pay $20 to ship the short circut device back to them only to waste a week for them to tell me they were not standing behind their 2 year warranty and would have to pay $215 for a new one. To make matters worse they stated I needed to pay for return shipping for my 6 month old product.
I have never been so disatisfied and upset with a company. I have been in the hobby for 10 years. I had no other choice but to buy another one since I alreayd invested close to $700 after all the modules I have added on. I would never reccommend this company to a family or friend.
OK, but not for me By Susan on 11/29/12
Susan would recommend this product to a friend
I ordered this controller and everything worked perfectly. It took me several nights to get the basics. Everything worked like it should, but it wasn't the right controller for me. I wasn't crazy about the interface so I switched to an Apex. I have nothing against this controller or its functionality, it just wasn't a good match for me.
A must have, even with the minor troubles By Subodh on 11/13/12
Subodh would recommend this product to a friend
Disclaimer: I bought this directly from DA, before I knew about BRS. And I got introduced to BRS because there were no instructions to setup this thing and BRS TV was a life saver.
The only reason I did not get the Reefkeeper Elite was because it seemed so expensive. In hind-sight though, this thing saved me a couple grand already. Here's how this thing is invaluable:
1) I have dual main pumps, a skimmer, 2 Vortech circulation pumps, a chiller pump, a carbon reactor pump and a GFO reactor pump, -- 7 things that need to be switched off or on or a mix of some off and some on when a) I am feeding the fish or b) I'm feeding the corals or c) I'm doing a water change. With Reefkeeper, I just hit the standby 1 or 2 or 3 (configured for fish feeding, coral feeding and water change respectively) and I do not have to worry about forgetting to turn something on. I broke a thermometer one time (before RKE) while doing a water change because I forgot to turn the damn thing off before doing a water change (Tangled wires anyone?)
2) If you're manually managing individual switches you already know how expensive a mistake of forgetting to turn something back-on is. With RKE, delayed and automatic turn-ons make it easy to manage everything and has already saved me a whole tank crash multiple times.
3) The ability to set timers, standby as well as default settings for each one of the control outlets is a life saver, even when something major goes wrong. The ability to set one device's behavior based on an input received from another device (for example, based on the pH reading or the temperature reading) is even more invaluable.
4) There's one really good reason why Reefkeeper Elite is a must have: Port sensors and control. If you do not know what I'm talking about, skip it but if you need a digital control over water level, micro pumps and dosing, RKE is a must have.
Now over to a few things where RKE failed to live up
1) This thing seems to be made by people who're good at microprocessors but really lacking in software development. my Reef 2.0 is functional but takes too long to do anything, gets stuck half the time, the USB dongle is flimsy at best (needs a couple plug/unplug cycles) or the individual modules need a software update before they work. For example, every time the module resets I have to keep pressing the buttons until I see pH at top and temp at the bottom of the display. Shouldn't I be able to set my preference through software? Or, for example if I have something for which there is no preset, its quite hard to configure it between the three selectors of On/Off/Auto. For example, if I want the Chiller to be running all the time irrespective of the temp I must choose it as on/off rather than the preset which turns it on or off based on temperature.
2) This thing is meant for aquarium use but is really sensitive to salt water. My SL1 lab connectors are corroded and I have to live with it (I'm not aware of any time I spilled water on this thing but I must have dropped a drop sometime). There are times when this thing shows Bus Error and keeps resetting itself - if you have the lights connected to this thing they also turn on and off repeatedly shocking the fish (if there is a bus error). However, this is still my fault for mounting the unit to close to the aquarium on the side when it should have been inside the cabinet or something.
3) You'd need to buy more hardware. Even with the price tag of RKE, you'd realize you need one more power strip, probably a standby SL1 or SL2, some more connectors (they look like 2 line telephone wire plugs) and certainly couple more recalibration solutions.
4) Calibration isn't easy. I wish there was a BRSTV video for that. The data never stabilizes (even for the temperature) and the pH goes off track after a couple months. Anytime you backup and restore, calibration data is off by a few decimals. I don't mind paying for the calibration solution for the pH once in a few months but its still an irritation with an otherwise very good module.
Overall, I would highly recommend reefkeeper Elite I just wish some of the annoyances were corrected.
Enjoy your Tank By Anthony on 10/5/12
Anthony would recommend this product to a friend
life with a controller lets you enjoy your tank, Awesome product!
GOOD CONTROLLER By charles on 9/25/12
charles would recommend this product to a friend
THIS CONTROLLER HAS SO MANY FEATURES THAT IT WILL MAKE USING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME A LITTLE DIFFICULT. THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO OPERATE IT. ONCE YOU GET IT FIGURED OUT, IT WORKS GREAT.
Make life so much easier By Waterart on 8/29/12
Waterart would recommend this product to a friend
Having a reefkeeper elite had made my reef automation incredibly easy. In addition, it allows for easy top off via a solenoid by using a switch valve. It is also nice to be able to turn off outlet in the event the temp raises too high. With the reefkeeper elite, you can completely automate your reef.
Great system-challenging set up By Daniel on 8/11/12
Daniel would recommend this product to a friend
Over all this is a great system. It reduces "chore time" with your tank and allows you to have more fun time. The system is very versatile as you can build on over time.
That being said it is a pain to set up. My biggest compliant is that you have to do a firmware upgrade immediately. This upgrade is challenging. DA provides very good responses via the DA forum however it is nearly impossible to get a hold of a person via their customer service line.
Once it is set up it is a awesome system.
Great tool By Manny on 6/6/12
Manny would recommend this product to a friend
This is my first controller and I'm glad I bought it. However, since I didn't know what I was doing this was a tough thing to set up. Thanks to BRS TV for getting me started. The video was a lifesaver. The timers work great. I'm still trying to figure out the ATO function.
Get one, you won't regret it.
Nice, but hard to set up By mdvgator on 6/4/12
mdvgator would recommend this product to a friend
I love the unit, but not knowing anything about controllers, I was lucky that BRS TV had an episode about this.
This unit has so many modules that you could upgrade and upgrade and not fill out the capacity if you tried. For something as complicated as a controller can be, the instruction manual was not adequate. I would set it up using the computer rather than the small display as it is much easier.
I would recommend it, just be ready to spend a few hours in setup if you're a controller novice like I was.
Saved my life. Well, my fish By Ben on 5/27/12
Ben would recommend this product to a friend
Long story short, the pH and temp controllers saved my tank. This has saved me countless hours of maintenance, routine things. If you don't have one yet, get it, cause you'll wish you had it when you first set up your tank.
Great tool, Poor instructions By Gerald on 5/23/12
Gerald would recommend this product to a friend
This was initially a bit tricky to setup as it had no directions/manual included. Online worked but there were several versions of the manual around making it tricky. Their forums are great and their people are quick to respond. I have it up and working and I really like it. It would be nice if I could create custom names for the channels like I hear can be done with the Apex.
A must need By Adam on 4/24/12
Adam would recommend this product to a friend
Easy to use if you have a computer. But it is a must have keeps your tank in check from turning on heaters to fans!!
Best Investment Ever!! By Ben on 4/8/12
Ben would recommend this product to a friend
This has made keeping up with my fish tank a breeze! I keep tabs on all my equipment, make sure my equipment is off when I'm doing maintenance, and that all my parameters are ideal. It's super easy to set up, super easy to work with. I wouldn't recommend anything less than the Elite for the price bump.
Decent controller, but can be frustrating By Ray on 3/9/12
Ray wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
I have an RKE for my 120G and an RKL for my 34G. The controllers are quite good and DA has a nice line of modules etc. I have, however, found some of the programming and setup to be a little frustrating (I have been a microcontroller programmer, so I am pretty good with this type of stuff). I did have a couple of RMAed modules, but support was very good both through email and the phone. If the email responses were a little quicker I would say support was great. I have been told by others that these lack some of the more complex if-then-else logic of the other controllers, but for most setups they seem to have ways to do what you want to do, so for the not super technical people, I think DA is a very good option. I do think their QA needs work especially all of the problems they had around the salinty probe (although my understanding is that these have been resolved).
Awesome Product By AG on 1/9/12
AG would recommend this product to a friend
This product could really save your tank. In years past, I lost a tank due to heater failure in the on position. So did my father-in-law. This system will prevent that and many, many other problems.
The software package - MyReef 2.0 - is very cool.
The set up may be a little tricky. I had to reload the firmware in all the equipment before mine would work.
Overall, I am in love with this thing.
Peace of mind and ease of maintenance. By Sam on 11/17/11
Sam would recommend this product to a friend
I recently purchased a RKE and overall I am very happy with it. It can be set up to do a myriad of things such as auto top off, dosing pumps, wavemakers, light control, any kind of timer, heater controller, etc. Its potential really is limitless. I feel like the price is a bit high but not deal-breaking.
This product will help protect your tank from any number of potential crash-causing disasters such as overheating. You can also use it to run fans over your tank/sump when your temperature gets too high to help with evaporative cooling.
My main gripe is that this product comes with NO instructions whatsoever. If you are handy with electronics you can most likely navigate its setup on your own. The manual is available online, however some parts of it are dated and actually incorrect, such as instructions for entering manual mode on the power strips.
I feel like the product is good quality. The PC4s feel like bricks in your hands. Nothing about the product feels cheesy or poorly made.
Happy with my purchase overall.
Great machine, poor directions By Ryan on 11/11/11
Ryan would recommend this product to a friend
Recieved the product with no instructions, sorry but your suppose to just know to go online, sign up on the forum and download the latest updates and get the manual and such. I like hte machine but the package should have come at least with info on where to go to get help, doesnt even have main phone contact numbers.
Life Saver By ROGERWILCO357 on 10/19/11
ROGERWILCO357 would recommend this product to a friend
This item has helped save my entire tank inhabitants by keeping the temp correct. See all of those heaters you plug in with there temp controllers eventually fail. well with this unit hooked up it knew the tank was exceeding the temp settings and shut the heater off saving my fish and corals other wise it would have kept getting hotter and hotter eventually killing everything like in my son's tank he lost all his coral and fish.
so yeah it is a life saver.
welll By jeffrey on 10/4/11
jeffrey would recommend this product to a friend
this is a great device, and i do not regret the money i spent on it one bit, BUT DA is a little funky for a company, when i updated the firmware, it removed all graphong functions with out telling me this would happen for instance, with the up to date firm ware, you can only graph from your computure or teh net attach ment(which you should get right away, you'll want it later, and save money to get it to begin with) also the website is hard to find info on, and the user manuel isn't acurate, there isn't a acurate one for the update that i could find, it is expensive to add a second temprature probe which was dissapointing to me, (prob and sl1 is ~$89). so all in all, awesum product, i love mine, but i not as great information on it as i would like from DA
rke By seth on 9/4/11
seth would recommend this product to a friend
Great controller...easily control your lights,ato,pumps. Great probes very accurate. A little difficult to use but after some use, i wouldnt be without one
Dosing temp ph salinity moon lights. It does everything... By Charlie on 6/24/11
Charlie would recommend this product to a friend
This thing can do just about everything for your tank from turn off return pumps for feeding time, or even clean your protein skimmer once a week... The options are endless. DA customer service isn't the greatest but I have found a lot of help on the online forum. Usually answered with in 24 hrs.
Great tool takes some time to get right though By Charlie on 5/25/11
Charlie would recommend this product to a friend
Great tool. Temp stays within .2 degrees now, wave timer works great. worth every penny. As far as DIgital Aquatics customer service, I have not had a problem. Also BRS was great to work with.
solid By Jim on 5/14/11
Jim would recommend this product to a friend
does everything I needed it to and super easy to program. Not much else to say.
Terrible product--lots of empty manufacturer claims By Dave on 4/9/11
Dave wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
Please note this review is NOT a reflection of BRS! BRS is a great company to deal with, but Digital Aquatics is NOT. Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Elite is sold and promoted as an advanced aquarists' tool, yet it is barely more than a glorified timer. Look at the Neptune Apex--web programmable without empty promises. Look at DA's salinity probe--people have been waiting for a working replacement for almost a year. DA's customer service is horrible, they would be better off not answering the phone than letting rude people deal with customers...do yourself a favor buy an Apex!