3.5 stars By Kevin on 8/23/2014
Kevin would recommend this product to a friend
it is a half way decent timer for use with the brs doser's I just think there are some tweaks that could be done to make things a little better. when setting it up the if you want to make sure it runs you have to set a cycle and wait for it to cycle on and off. one of my other tweaks they could make is to have the plugs through the front of the timer in the limited space where my powers trips are its tough to put a plug in on the side of the timer, but it does work as it should and hasn't lost time in a couple of months , i am buying three more for my new build.
Easy & Quality By Tbone on 5/25/2014
Tbone would recommend this product to a friend
Very easy to set. The built-in battery back-up is a plus. I use three of them ... Two of them for II part dosing multiple times a night and morning and the 3rd one runs a low power air pump that runs multiple times a day for just one minut each timee.
Works Like a Charm! By Dimitri on 2/28/2014
Dimitri would recommend this product to a friend
Mine worked fine from day 1 until today, I bought 2 and I will be buying 2 more! easy to use, easy to set up.
Does a wonderful job!!! By A. GRANDIS on 1/14/2014
A. GRANDIS would recommend this product to a friend
Still using the timers and they are just wonderful.
I've never had problems to this date.
Once I pressed a wrong bottom on the timer and it when crazy.
I don't know what bottom was pressed. :P
I used the small white reset bottom and the timer went back to normal.
I had lots of people asking me more info about the timers to be used with Kalk reactors as I do.
There are many ways to used them with different reactors…
Here are the basic tips I have for those who don't need too much Kalk:
- I make sure the time is correct on the timer and every month I correct the minor 1 or 2 min. off to keep it running perfectly on time. That isn't necessary at all to have the timer running though.
- I use the timer with the BRS 1.1ml/min. to dose Kalk very slowly into the system (drip, drip) and leave it running for the quantity of kalk I need for that particular system. That will depend on how much the system needs, really. I only leave the pump running for like 30 min max. at a time, once it's not designed to be on 24/7. I had left the pump on for 45min at a time before and never had any issues. The timer will allow 8 different time sets per day to dose.
- Never had problems running the Kalk reactor during the day and still having a fairly stable pH. The pH is still lower during the night, naturally, but it doesn't get too high during the day, when lights are on. Works great for me!!
- My system has the kalk reactor basically to keep alk and Ca levels in check for coralline algae. I don't keep hard corals.
- I do have another system with ReefKeeper running a home made type of kalk reactor today, but that is is a more complex and expensive dosing system and could be unnecessary for most people. The combination of Aquamedic Kalk reactor and the 1.1ml BRS pump with this timer is the most inexpensive way I fond to keep the needs of my tank. I don't use the 50ml/min BRS pump because it will dose Kalk too fast with the timer, once the minimum setting allowed is 1 minute. I've tried that and didn't like. Best and safest way to dose Kalk is with the drip-drip rate.
- To clean the reactor is very easy and much better than the still reservoirs with ATO system IMO, which could in some cases get clogged with the Kalk. To prevent that it would be wise to clean the line with some vinegar once an a while. with the reactor there no need for cleaning the lines once it has only fresh water going into the reactor and the clear mixed kalk solution overflows into the system through a 1/2" outlet. Never gets clogged. The reactor mixes the kalk 24/7 also, to make sure the new incoming water will get well stirred into the solution. No problem. Time saver!! It's also much easier to remove the reactor and clean a small piece of equipment than a bigger container. Remember that with the still reservoir with Kalk the bigger the container the less amount of times you'll be mixing, so the messier and hard to clean it would be. Besides, you'll need room for that. The reactor occupy a tiny foot print into your cabinet.
-The reservoir I use to feed the water to the reactor is cleaned every 6 to 12 months, if needed. I fill up the water into the small container once a week. I like to add some kalk to the reactor every 2 weeks to give it a boost. One can do that by unscrewing the cap and just lifting up to add the kalk. No need to turn if off.
- So basically to set the timer you need to figure out how many ml of Kalk you need per day and divide that by 8, setting the timer through the day for the dosing. You can set the dosing times only for the nigh, when lights are off, if you wish.
- I've tried the other brands of this type of electronic timer and they all work great!!!! I didn't see any major differences between the brands to tell the truth.
Hope this helps who wants to use the kalk reactors with timers.
Well it's working now...knock on wood By Robert on 12/30/2013
Robert would recommend this product to a friend
All I can say is that mine is working now. However after reading many of the other reviews who knows for how long. Hopefully I will not have the problems that others have had.
I feel the BRS guys only want to sell good products because they do seem to care very much for their customers. I'm sure/hope they have taken the bad reviews seriously.
Do not buy By tony on 11/8/2013
tony wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
Piece of crap mine crapped out I less than a month
Failed twice By Joe on 11/3/2013
Joe wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
This timer has failed twice in under a year And pumped my tank full of two part killing hundreds of dollars worth of SPS. I would not recommend to anyone. Smashing this thing into hundreds of pieces.
Unsafe for alkalinity dosing By Phasezero on 10/8/2013
Phasezero wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
I wouldn't recommend this for dosing your alkalinity. Out of no where mine turned on and started dosing the alkaline solution. I've had mine programmed and running for about a month. I was able to catch it early enough before any major damage was done thankfully. I wouldn't trust your whole tank with this unreliable timer.
great timer but may fail By ldballoon4 on 9/24/2013
ldballoon4 would recommend this product to a friend
I bought two of theses to dose Alk and Mg. They work as advertised. I noticed my Mg was gradually getting lower. I tried to override it in manual mode and sadly it did not work. So longetivity is questionable. But over all 4 stars out of 5. It is a good timer until I purchase an upgrade with a controller.
great gadget for dosing without comittiting to a controller By Join the Revolution on 5/27/2013
Join the Revolution would recommend this product to a friend
Bought an additional one to dose my Mg. Until you buy a controller like an Apex or Reefkeeper etc...this timer will do the trick. A little awkward to program but does the job. Always triple check your programming on these timers as they are not too intuitive to program. BRS, thank you.
Easy to set up and does a good job. By A. grandis on 4/22/2013
A. grandis would recommend this product to a friend
I use one of these to dose from my kalk reactor during the night.
Only drawback is the clock, not so precise.
Minor problem, that's why I gave 4 stars.
I'm thinking to get 3 more and dose Ca, Alk and Mg for my new setup.
I'm considering this so I depend on individual timers for each feature, versus taking the chance and have a Reefkeeper falling all at once.
WARNING: Failure eminent By Aaron on 12/23/2012
Aaron wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
I brought 2 of these timers 5 months ago.
When I first received them 1 did not work. BRS promptly replaced.
After receiving my replacement, things worked great for the next 5 months.
This morning while performing my monthly water testing, my calcium and alkalinity levels were way off. After investigation, I noticed that the timer running my alkalinity was broken. The clock was working, but it would not turn on. After replacing the battery, still not working. I think the internal relay is broken (it's mechanical). DO NOT buy this product, you will regret it.
It seems that there is no good/ cheap solution out there. Lucky thing I have enough money to buy a reefkeeper....