Very impressed By Mo on 3/18/2015
Mo would recommend this product to a friend
I haven't set this skimmer up. Still waiting for aquarium delivery. Very well packaged and built very well.
Good skimmer By Luke on 3/10/2015
Luke would recommend this product to a friend
Like all skimmers I have owned the Vertex Omega 130 has its pros and cons.
- Excellent build quality (Vertex is the absolute best at this).
- Virtually silent, especially when cleaned simi-regularly.
- Easy to maintain and take apart
- Most importantly, this skimmer outperforms any skimmer I've used when tuned properly.
- Exceptional skimmate production
- Very finicky about water level. Once I raised it to about 7 inches of water depth this was no longer an issue.
- Pump to skimmer connection is very weak. Will disconnect with little disturbances.
- Pipe adjustment is unnecessarily hard to operate. Not as easy as the gate valve on the reef octopus skimmers.
I would definitely buy this skimmer again just because of the good skimmate production but I might consider waiting for the next model of omega's to be released to see if these things are improved first.
Don't buy this skimmer By pmcadams on 3/2/2015
pmcadams wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
My 130 is 5 months old. Breakin time was extremely long and this skimmer is very difficult to tune. The ozone nipple pulled out of the pump housing so I had to seal the hole with silicon to restore operation. The skimmer body, though made out of quality material, is friction fit to the pump via silicon tubing that slips off easily so any movement in the sump will disconnect the pump. The air filter hanger impedes one handed tuning since it hangs on the exhaust stack and easily comes apart if you bump into it while reaching into the sump. Removal for cleaning is cumbersome since everything tends to fall apart. This skimmer is entirely to expensive for the way its is put together. I regret buying it.
Great skimmer By Oregonrain on 1/28/2015
Oregonrain would recommend this product to a friend
I love this skimmer. Just get some bricks for the hardware store to set it on. You can't put it in the sump because it has too much water to work right. I placed it on a couple brings and it is perfect!
Very Quiet, but not perfect By Ed on 1/5/2015
Ed would recommend this product to a friend
Super quiet skimmer; more skimmate than the Coralife 125 it replaced. Got it for a great price on Black Friday. Directions for set up are poor; connector for Ozone broke during setup...
Incredible skimmer (with an asterisk) By Jay B. on 1/4/2015
Jay B. would recommend this product to a friend
I bought this to replace my EuroReef CS5 which had served me well on my 90 gallon mixed reef tank. The 130 is the only Vertex Omega model that would fit height-wise in my stand.
The unit is impressive from a build standpoint. Because the top cup is threaded, it does take a few turns to remove it. Make sure that you measure the height in your stand carefully and then add a bit for maneuvering.
It does take a bit of time to get the skimmer set up perfectly, but follow the instructions in the manual and you shouldn't have a problem. The skimmer IS sensitive to the water level in your sump. I finally broke down and bought a water level controller just to make sure that I didn't have to keep watching the sump level all the time. If the level goes too low, the skimmer stops skimming altogether. This is probably more of a design feature than a flaw, as other skimmers that I have used will tolerate widely fluctuating water levels, but the skimmate quality also becomes erratic.
I highly recommend this skimmer, but it is not for someone who just wants a turn-key out of the box skimmer.
Will it work? By InWyo on 1/3/2015
InWyo would recommend this product to a friend
I give it 3 stars not because of performance but because of broken part. Been waiting to install on response from Bulk Reef.
Opened box and found a very nice looking product. Upon setting up, I found the output tube broken off of the silencer, poor packing of that component. Contacted Bulk Reef by email, no response. Will try to fix myself but don't like to have to fix brand new equipment. The truth in the pudding will be when the pump needs to be replaced. Will they be available?
Excellent protein skimmer. By Iz on 12/15/2014
Iz would recommend this product to a friend
Im gonna use this skimmer on a future project, you can definitely just seen the quality in this product, and i gotta say BRS did a great job shipping it, Thanks BRS
Awesome skimmer, don't be skeptical of the critical reviews By Garry on 12/4/2014
Garry would recommend this product to a friend
After reading and watching a TON of reviews on this skimmer, I determined that the build quality was better than anything else out there, but the skimmer was difficult to dial in. I was skeptical but determined to give it a go.
- packaging is amazing, but who really cares as long as it arrives undamaged, its comparable to Apple products.
- Assembly is a snap, all you need is a flathead screwdriver
- Build quality is as described in everything you read and see, its a beautiful machine. I catch myself staring at this thing in action..really adds to the beauty of my setup. Yes I pride myself on a good looking sump :).
- Don't buy this if you don't have a constant volume sump compartment that this will fit into.
- Don't buy this if you don't have room in your sump compartment to raise the skimmer up to at least 7" of water depth. I started this off in 9.5" of water, overflowed for many many days, I was really skeptical until I raised it up to 7" and WHAM, perfect no overflow and pulling TONS of skimate out almost immediately. Has not overflowed since. I don't have a huge bioload on my tank, and I was nervous after the first few days of constant overflow until I started raising it up in depth, and immediately tuned in and starting pulling dark nasty skimate, my tank is only a few months old and does not have a huge bioload and I was blown away by how much crap this thing was pulling out of the water.
-Follow the directions for break in for the first 24 hrs, then start tweaking the height, don't touch the air adjustment on the pump, start with the wedge pipe fully open, get it to tune at a certain height then adjust wedge pipe to type of skimate preferred.
- I really don't understand what a lot of the other reviews were complaining about, I think if you follow the above you will fall in love with this skimmer, if thats possible. Oh and its dead silent, always a plus.
Sweet deal on a door buster! By Agro on 11/30/2014
Agro would recommend this product to a friend
Wow... I've been looking for a skimmer I can run in my sump with about 8.5-9 inches of water for a while. Either the prices were outrageous or the skimmer was just overkill for my 40b. Although this is overkill on a 40b, it leaves room to grow and worry free care! My old skimmer left a lot to be desired, Just by look and feel I can tell a lot of care went into designing this skimmer!
Still in the break in face, however this is an extremely quiet skimmer for its size!
amazing By Nelson on 11/28/2014
Nelson would recommend this product to a friend
been using this protein skimmer for now 11 months! get it right now on this black friday special!! its worth every penny... quiet great looking and does whats suppose to do skim everything! crystal clear water!
Dissapointed... By Ski on 10/24/2014
Ski wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
This by far is my most hated piece of equipment. I will agree with everyone that it is bulit well and looks great, but I have had this unit for a few months now and it is the most agrivating and tepermental skimmer I have EVER owned...
First off this thing LOVES to overflow, overflow and overflow some more. Think you FINALLY have it dialed in?.. Think again.
I am on my 3rd platform/riser and I have tried it in water levels of 9, 8.5 and 7 inches. Anyhting much less than that it would be too high for the skimmers outlet.
Following comments from previous reviews are 100% spot on!:
" Break in will take a while "
" This thing drove me nuts trying to adjust it. "
" The skimmer is very finicky with regard to the water level in your sump. "
" Many many nights i would wake up to hear a strange tapping noise coming from the stand. It was the lid of the skimmer dancing around as foam and bubbles poured out and back into the sump. "
" If my ATO deposits even one fluid ounce over the line drawn on my sump the skimmer goes ballistic. "
" the build quality is very good with this skimmer and it is stylish. I am just not certain they went for something that would work. Can't say it is worth the headache. "
" I've spent too much time dialing the unit in to return it but in hindsight I definitely should have."
" if you get frustrated easily, buy a different brand of skimmer. "
All in all I am VERY dissapointed and I guess I should have bought another skimmer. lol!.. My cheap, old and small skimmer runs circles around this thing!