broken ceramic rod in flywheel By Edward on 3/25/2015
Edward wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
I'm very disappointed with the reliability of the skimmer. At first it looked well crafted. Then the ceramic rod in the flywheel broke. I had to call Canada for a replacement. Again at first it seemed like no problem they would replace it. It happened 3 times and they didn't want to help anymore, even though it was still under warranty. The motor is very strong, but for whatever reason that ceramic rod just brakes. The motor also easily separates from the bubble chamber which is just annoying. For this money it should really last and be quality. I tried working with them and felt they just gave up. I have a 75gal with 30 gal sump. I had Octopus for a long time and now I'm using a Skimz which I'm enjoying.
great build but By justin on 3/23/2015
justin would recommend this product to a friend
it has great build quality everything is every smooth but I still have yet to find the right hight for it to operate and not just fill with water.
Excellent but touchy By Jbnewb on 3/18/2015
Jbnewb would recommend this product to a friend
First skimmer purchase so nothing to compare it to. Luke is spot on though. Break-in period was four days and producing dark skim. Very easy to adjust, but if you do ANYTHING such as change a sock or add a treatment and the skimmer goes crazy and overflows. Very important to know it is not 11" long. In my 11" sump I found this out the hard way. It is 11&3/8" unless you take the foot mount off and put silicone underneath for support making it just under 11". Very quite.
Very impressed By Mo on 3/18/2015
Mo would recommend this product to a friend
I haven't set this skimmer up. Still waiting for aquarium delivery. Very well packaged and built very well.
Good skimmer By Luke on 3/10/2015
Luke would recommend this product to a friend
Like all skimmers I have owned the Vertex Omega 130 has its pros and cons.
- Excellent build quality (Vertex is the absolute best at this).
- Virtually silent, especially when cleaned simi-regularly.
- Easy to maintain and take apart
- Most importantly, this skimmer outperforms any skimmer I've used when tuned properly.
- Exceptional skimmate production
- Very finicky about water level. Once I raised it to about 7 inches of water depth this was no longer an issue.
- Pump to skimmer connection is very weak. Will disconnect with little disturbances.
- Pipe adjustment is unnecessarily hard to operate. Not as easy as the gate valve on the reef octopus skimmers.
I would definitely buy this skimmer again just because of the good skimmate production but I might consider waiting for the next model of omega's to be released to see if these things are improved first.
Don't buy this skimmer By pmcadams on 3/2/2015
pmcadams wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
My 130 is 5 months old. Breakin time was extremely long and this skimmer is very difficult to tune. The ozone nipple pulled out of the pump housing so I had to seal the hole with silicon to restore operation. The skimmer body, though made out of quality material, is friction fit to the pump via silicon tubing that slips off easily so any movement in the sump will disconnect the pump. The air filter hanger impedes one handed tuning since it hangs on the exhaust stack and easily comes apart if you bump into it while reaching into the sump. Removal for cleaning is cumbersome since everything tends to fall apart. This skimmer is entirely to expensive for the way its is put together. I regret buying it.
Great skimmer By Oregonrain on 1/28/2015
Oregonrain would recommend this product to a friend
I love this skimmer. Just get some bricks for the hardware store to set it on. You can't put it in the sump because it has too much water to work right. I placed it on a couple brings and it is perfect!
Very Quiet, but not perfect By Ed on 1/5/2015
Ed would recommend this product to a friend
Super quiet skimmer; more skimmate than the Coralife 125 it replaced. Got it for a great price on Black Friday. Directions for set up are poor; connector for Ozone broke during setup...
Incredible skimmer (with an asterisk) By Jay B. on 1/4/2015
Jay B. would recommend this product to a friend
I bought this to replace my EuroReef CS5 which had served me well on my 90 gallon mixed reef tank. The 130 is the only Vertex Omega model that would fit height-wise in my stand.
The unit is impressive from a build standpoint. Because the top cup is threaded, it does take a few turns to remove it. Make sure that you measure the height in your stand carefully and then add a bit for maneuvering.
It does take a bit of time to get the skimmer set up perfectly, but follow the instructions in the manual and you shouldn't have a problem. The skimmer IS sensitive to the water level in your sump. I finally broke down and bought a water level controller just to make sure that I didn't have to keep watching the sump level all the time. If the level goes too low, the skimmer stops skimming altogether. This is probably more of a design feature than a flaw, as other skimmers that I have used will tolerate widely fluctuating water levels, but the skimmate quality also becomes erratic.
I highly recommend this skimmer, but it is not for someone who just wants a turn-key out of the box skimmer.
Will it work? By InWyo on 1/3/2015
InWyo would recommend this product to a friend
I give it 3 stars not because of performance but because of broken part. Been waiting to install on response from Bulk Reef.
Opened box and found a very nice looking product. Upon setting up, I found the output tube broken off of the silencer, poor packing of that component. Contacted Bulk Reef by email, no response. Will try to fix myself but don't like to have to fix brand new equipment. The truth in the pudding will be when the pump needs to be replaced. Will they be available?
Excellent protein skimmer. By Iz on 12/15/2014
Iz would recommend this product to a friend
Im gonna use this skimmer on a future project, you can definitely just seen the quality in this product, and i gotta say BRS did a great job shipping it, Thanks BRS
Awesome skimmer, don't be skeptical of the critical reviews By Garry on 12/4/2014
Garry would recommend this product to a friend
After reading and watching a TON of reviews on this skimmer, I determined that the build quality was better than anything else out there, but the skimmer was difficult to dial in. I was skeptical but determined to give it a go.
- packaging is amazing, but who really cares as long as it arrives undamaged, its comparable to Apple products.
- Assembly is a snap, all you need is a flathead screwdriver
- Build quality is as described in everything you read and see, its a beautiful machine. I catch myself staring at this thing in action..really adds to the beauty of my setup. Yes I pride myself on a good looking sump :).
- Don't buy this if you don't have a constant volume sump compartment that this will fit into.
- Don't buy this if you don't have room in your sump compartment to raise the skimmer up to at least 7" of water depth. I started this off in 9.5" of water, overflowed for many many days, I was really skeptical until I raised it up to 7" and WHAM, perfect no overflow and pulling TONS of skimate out almost immediately. Has not overflowed since. I don't have a huge bioload on my tank, and I was nervous after the first few days of constant overflow until I started raising it up in depth, and immediately tuned in and starting pulling dark nasty skimate, my tank is only a few months old and does not have a huge bioload and I was blown away by how much crap this thing was pulling out of the water.
-Follow the directions for break in for the first 24 hrs, then start tweaking the height, don't touch the air adjustment on the pump, start with the wedge pipe fully open, get it to tune at a certain height then adjust wedge pipe to type of skimate preferred.
- I really don't understand what a lot of the other reviews were complaining about, I think if you follow the above you will fall in love with this skimmer, if thats possible. Oh and its dead silent, always a plus.