Nice reactor with some issues By Eric on 9/29/2015
Eric would recommend this product to a friend
I bought two of these reactors late last year. I hard plumbed both into my sump. They are fed through an intake manifold tee'd off one of my return lines, and the output goes into an exhaust manifold that silently returns the processed water. So onto the review:
1. Included union ball valve at the intake is convenient
2. Dual chamber design facilitates media change
3. 2.5L model has great capacity, while tall it has a relatively small footprint
4. High quality acrylic construction - it is a very nice looking reactor
1. O-rings at the bottom of the inner chamber don't stay in place, when replacing the inner chamber they will fall off into the bottom of the outer chamber. I tried to get replacements and ultimately was put in touch with Jen at Pro-Line who said she'd get them sent right out. Well I never got them, and multiple follow-up emails were never returned. I ultimately gave up on getting customer service to address this, and went the fix-it-yourself route by applying silicone in the groove of the inner chamber to keep the O-rings in place. This problem was not a random defect but a definite design flaw, as it involved both of my reactors and is mentioned in other RX-U reviews. Basically there are two issues - the acrylic lip at the bottom of the outer chamber that supports the O-ring is too small and the groove for the O-ring in the inner chamber is too generous or the O-ring is too thin, so it doesn't fit tight enough to keep it in place. To make it worse, one of my O-rings was slightly stretched out of the box, making even harder to get and keep in place.
2. The supplied sponges are ineffective at keeping smaller media, for instance GFO and finer carbon, inside the reactor. Now there is a balance for such sponges - too restrictive they might clog up and too loose they let media escape. Well since these are 'Universal' reactors, Vertex should supply an alternate set of sponges that is more suitable for fine media.
Overall I would recommend these reactors with some caveats - be prepared to silicone the O-rings in place and make your own sponges. Neither should be the case on a higher end reactor, but in the end it is a pretty nice product once these issues are managed. Hopefully Vertex will fix the design in the future and some better customer service would be nice too.
Vertex Rx-U 2.5L Universal Media Reactor By Alberto on 2/11/2015
Alberto would recommend this product to a friend
Ordered this product from this website and do not regret. Amazing quality. The shipping was very reliable and received in a very timely matter. Would definitely recommend this website and this product to aquarium lovers like myself.
Great Unit - you get what you pay for By JTG on 4/3/2014
JTG would recommend this product to a friend
Solid unit, uncompromising quality and engineering. Very impressed with the unit, and so far with Vertex generally. So much so I purchased a second reactor. Components are of the highest quality - have not seen anything that matches Vertex's attention to detail and thoughtful design. Integral flow valve - such a simple idea - but missing on almost all competitive units. Easy maintenance, media change, etc. You may be paying a little more, but you will be getting a level of quality that will impress you and make your life easier.