Ask a question
The Biological filtration is a method that uses naturally occurring nitrifying bacteria to detoxify nitrogenous wastes. One type of bacteria (Nitrosomonas spp.) converts ammonia to nitrite while another naturally occurring bacteria (Nitrobacter spp.) converts the nitrite into a far less harmful form of nitrogen waste: nitrate. Nitrate is the final stage of the nitrification process. Many invertebrates, unlike fish, are not tolerable to high nitrate concentrations. As a result, it is extremely important to make sure that nitrate levels do not reach high levels.
A level of 10 mg/lt is the maximum for reef aquariums. For these reasons, the periodical analytical valuation of nitrate in the aquarium water should be considered, especially during the aquarium set-up and, periodically, to avoid a too high level inside the water of our aquaria. Our kit allows the determination of the Nitrate level within a range of 5 - 75 mg/Lt
Keeping proper water quality in our aquarium is a fundamental step toward a healthy tank. To properly monitor your water quality you need an accurate and reliable set of test kits.
All Elos test kits include:
- Calibrated lab droppers: the accuracy of a titrimetric test kit is, in fact, strictly related to the precision of the drop size.
- RealColor technology: the precision of a colorimetric test kit is strictly related to the precision of the color chart. In these test we use an accurate system to calibrate the color chart compared to the reagents.
- The validation of each batch of reagents through the use of NIST (National Institute of Standard and Technology) certified samples.
- The strict control of the supply and storage chain: test kit reagents are very delicate, their accuracy is significantly influenced by storage. For this reason we keep our stock strictly under control and we suggest, to all our retailers, to do the same.
- The use of Lab Quality reagents: to grant a constant, precise result like only professional products may permit. Not only are the reagents included in all Elos test kits precise but we use non-toxic reagents whenever possible.
- High precision: thanks to the use of calibrated dropper
- NIST validation: each batch is validated using NIST (National Institute of Standard and Technology) samples
- "Safe reagents": reagents and testing procedures are based on Low Risk Reagents. None of our test kit are based on Toxic Reagents
Difficult By DaveGr on 11/28/2014DaveGr wouldn't recommend this product to a friendThe colors are very close and hard to read and the vial is so thin that it broke in my hand while trying to put the cap on. It gave me a good cut be careful!
Didn't help me at all and they don't allow returns By Bella on 6/24/2014Bella wouldn't recommend this product to a friendThis product offered me no results of use. I repeated the tests multiple times, each time following instructions to the tee. No results. The company doesn't accept returns if the item is used, so I wasted thirty bucks.
Good, easy to use nitrate kit By Edward on 1/27/2013Edward would recommend this product to a friendEasiest to differentiate colors and simple to use, and accurate. There is a mistake in the instructions though - you do NOT need to shake the vial for a full 5 minutes in the last step. Just 15 seconds, then WAIT 5 minutes.
good solid tester By 241wrasse on 12/22/2012241wrasse would recommend this product to a friendMuch better in my opinion than the API test kit. More consistent results, quality kit.
Easy to read but my vial broke too By Neal on 9/23/2012Neal would recommend this product to a friendI got the Elos because the colors on the Salifert chart are pretty similar, and I'm not color blind but it is difficult for me to tell them apart. The Elos kit is much easier to read but the glass vial they give you broke the second time I used it. Been using clear ziplock sandwich bags and they seem to work fine. The kit is not ideal for that reason but I don't know a better one.
colors don't match By Chris on 12/22/2010Chris wouldn't recommend this product to a friendI get an orange color that's not even on the chart, the glass jar broke when I pulled the plug out, so far nothing about this product I like.....
Accurate By Corey on 12/2/2010Corey would recommend this product to a friendElos kits are always accurate and easy to use once you get the hang of it.
Very good Nitrate Test Kit By Geddy on 11/12/2010Geddy would recommend this product to a friendI have tried several different Nitrate Test kits and have always found them difficult to judge at best. The ELOS Kit is not 'easy' to read but it is much better IMO than most and even the Salifert. It is worth the extra few dollars.
Great kit By Christopher Kosak on 10/7/2010Christopher Kosak would recommend this product to a friendI only use ELOS brand test kits. This test is very accurate and it may have a few extra steps over the API brand kits, but its well worth it for the accuracy. They may be a little expensive, but they do the job with precision and clarity. You will not have a hard time judging the different color reactions either. My opinion is this is the best low range nitrate kit on the market.