- Home /
- Build Your Own Reverse Osmosis System
Good way to save money if you don't want extra parts By DE on 3/3/14DE would recommend this product to a friendI wanted the chloramine system but didn't want to spend money on parts I didn't need. I got a five stage chloramine system made with a dual tds testing water before and after ro. And also a single meter after the di filter. Got pressure guage and ro flush. A ball valve to turn it on and off is necessary.
Set up easy with no leaks. I flushed all the cartridges separately as to not clog the ro or di. 150 tds in. 8 tds after ro and 0 tds after di!
Best way to buy a rodi system By nicholas on 2/9/14nicholas would recommend this product to a friendI had a ebay system at first and thought it did great until i started to add things like the tds meter from BRS and found out that my tds was in the 250 range. Not just that is had a metal hanger that was rusting. So i desided to make my own system from BRS and put it to the test. Boy was i surpried to find out that my tds dropped to 0.06 before it went to the DI cartidges. no worrys on rust due to the hanger asembly being heavy duty plastic. i wouldn't trade it for any other system out their.
Great System! Allowed me to get what I wanted By Nik on 1/22/14Nik would recommend this product to a friendBuilt my own RO/DI system the way I wanted and absolutely love it. Only thing I wish I added was the 150 water saver kit. However, I ordered it later and added it on. Thanks
Exactly what I needed By Jeff on 1/12/14Jeff would recommend this product to a friendPerfect way to beef up my existing drinking water system. BRS support was extremely helpful making sure I had ordered the correct fittings & everything I needed.
Custom options are all quality By Crystal on 12/29/13Crystal would recommend this product to a friendI've now had one unit running for 2+ years at three different (crappy, either high particulate or high phosphate) water sources, and one up for a month that's making large (comparatively) quantities of water. The structure on both units is top quality and all of the custom fittings and filter options will suit all your needs.
Absolutely love the product By 170 reef tank on 12/20/13170 reef tank would recommend this product to a friendEverything was assembled and working correctly just had to connect a couple lines. Tsd went from 335 to 0. I put in two float valves, one on the sump and one in my water mixing tub. I should've automated my system like this a while back. I absolutely love the product!!!!!!!
quality all the way! By Brenda on 8/26/13Brenda would recommend this product to a friendI just installed the RO/DI filter system that I purchased from BRS.
Everything was put together perfectly...TDS meter, pressure meter, switches. I didn't have to figure anything out! A real solid, quality piece of equipment...even the labels were put on perfectly straight!
Price point was also good, even accounting for the shipping here to Canada. BRS makes it so easy!
And "0" TDS. Couldn't be happier!
Worth the money By HaAl on 8/23/13HaAl would recommend this product to a friendProduct works really well and produces water at a fast pace. Very easy to install and operate.
Top notch system, buy one By Andrew on 6/13/13Andrew would recommend this product to a friendGot this system in a few days ago and used it for the first time last night. It worked perfectly and is assembled flawlessly. Everything works as advertised and all I had to do was attach my dual DI canisters to the main unit and hook it up to my faucet. Doesn't get much easier to create pristine water.
Excellent System By Brian4686605 on 6/7/13Brian4686605 would recommend this product to a friendI just got my BRS 4-stage RO system last night, and this thing is great! It came ready to go right out of the bubble wrap. My 240 ppm city water was flowing 10 ppm in five minutes. I shopped around quite a bit before settling on BRS, and I am happy that I did. I feel like I got a great value with this RO. It feels significantly sturdier than my old Watts system. I look forward to sending several thousand gallons through this thing! Thanks BRS!
Excellent By Red on 5/19/13Red would recommend this product to a friendI went with the build your own RO/DI system because I wanted the Chloramines PLUS system with the dual DI canisters, everything works flawlessly, BRS maintains fantastic quality at all times. Much appreciated, thank you!
Excellent Product and Serivce By Gweezpie on 5/6/13Gweezpie would recommend this product to a friendI have recently just returned to reef keeping and obviously need some supplies. Since I left, there seems to be some new suppliers that did not exist when I was in the hobby. BRS is a new one for me. After doing research on a new RO/DI system, I decided to go with BRS. I used the build your own option, and I am extremely happy with the overall build quality of this unit. Additionally, I chose to have BRS review my filter selection, and they pointed out how the unit actually needed to be configured to work properly and made the changes. Great service and quality. A new “go to” vendor for me. Thanks
There are no videos related to this product.
Ask a Question About 'Build Your Own Reverse Osmosis System'
Previously Asked Questions
by Derrick on December 19, 2013, @12:31 PM
if i get a build your own ro di unit what size tubing does it come with? i ask because i plan to add a T connection so i can have an extra line with a ball valve for drinking water and need to know what size inserts i need on the T connector (i plan to have a float switch in a trash can collecting the water for my tanks)
Bulk Reef Supply Hi Derrick,
All of our RO/DI units use 1/4" tubing so you would want 1/4" fittings for all those parts :-)
by Tytus on November 17, 2013, @12:53 PM
For Stage Four, what is the difference between the two 150gpd membrains? Is one just a 150gpd membrain while the other is two membrains? With the two membrains, what is the rejection rate and pressure required?
Bulk Reef Supply If you choose the two membranes then it is 2x 75gpd membranes in our water saving configuration. This configuration requires 65psi of water pressure but wastes less water. Because it will slightly decrease the rejection rate of the membranes its only suggested for water supplies that have relatively low TDS to begin with.
Custom Build your RO system and tune it to your specs.
Choose a sediment filter: Sediment filters reduce rust and larger particulate matter.
- 5 micron is the most common choice.
- Only choose the 1 micron if you know your water supply has lots of extremely small sediment in it.
NOTE: 1 micron filter will:
- Clog faster and require more frequent replacement
- Clog faster and pressure will drop and hurt the performance of your system.
Choose a sediment filter or carbon block: Choose another sediment filer if you have extremely bad sediment problems (rare).
- The most common choice for this is the 5 micron CTO/2 carbon block. The carbon block will remove chlorine and other VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) from your water supply.
- The 1 micron +1 carbon block can also be used here but it may get clogged quickly and cause a drop pressure. If you have chloramines in your water supply (not the same as chlorine) you can use the granulated catalytic carbon or the ChlorPlus cartridge. The catalytic carbon is dusty and must be flushed before use. The ChlorPlus is a carbon block and much easier to use. Around 10% of U.S cities’ water supply uses chloramines, you can call your city hall and ask if you would like to find out. If you are building a three stage system skip stage three and choose a membrane.
Choose an additional carbon stage or add a DI resin canister.
- The most common choice here is the 1 micron +1 carbon block. Now that the water is already adequately cleaned you can use a 1 micron carbon block without risk of it clogging quickly.
- Another common arrangement is to use an additional 5 micron (CTO/2) carbon block. If you have chloramines you will want to use the ChlorPlus on this stage.
- If you are building a 4 stage RO/DI choose Deionization resin for this stage. DI resin will remove everything that the membrane misses and produce absolutely pure water.
Choose a membrane.
- By far the most common choice is the Dow 75GPD because it offers the best performance and flow rate combination available at common water pressures. The Dow will produce 75 gallons per day at 50 psi and maintains 98% rejection.
- The 100 GPD GE membrane will produce water faster but requires 60 psi and has only a 96% rejection rate. The lower rejection rate will produce lower quality water and consume your DI resin faster.
- The 150 GPD membrane operates at 98% rejection at 65 PSI and is a great option if you have higher than average water pressure or use a booster pump.
- The last option is the water saver option which utilizes two 75 GPD membranes and cuts the waste water in half by feeding the second membrane with the waste water of the first. This option also requires 65 psi to operate and performs best when your homes water supply has below 300 TDS (total dissolved solids)
Add a stand-alone deionization canister.
- A single canister is the most common choice and typically enough to produce absolutely pure water.
- Customers who choose the dual stage do it because they have a dirty water supply and consume resin quickly or because they are on well water and live next to a known source of pollution like factories or farms.
Choose your accessories
- Dual TDS Meter – Measures water purity and insures that the unit is functioning properly. ***Most common accessory***
- Auto Shut off Valve – Required if you want to use a float valve to automatically shut your system down
- Float Valve – Install the float in your water container, when full the float will rise, shut off the water supply and turn your system off
- Ball Valve – Used to manually turn your system off
- Pressure Gauge – Used to monitor the pressure going into your membrane. Pressure will drop as filters get clogged which will help you know when to change them. Also an excellent tool for troubleshooting.
- Flush Kit – Used to flush deposits off the surface of the membrane and extend its life.
- Dual TDS Meter – Measures water purity and insures that the unit is functioning properly.
Choose Water Connection options
- Drain Clamp – Used to permanently attach your waste water line to a sink drain pipe.
- Laundry Tub and Garden Hose Adaptor - Screws on to common laundry tub and garden hose connections to supply water to your system
- Chrome Kitchen Sink Faucet Diverter – Screws on to common kitchen and sink faucets to supply water to your system.
- Self Piercing Valve – Used to permanently attach your system to a water supply pipe. Clamps on to the pipe and you screw in a small needle to make a hole in the pipe which feeds the system.
- Angle Stop adaptor Valve - Used to make a permanent connection to the water supply. 3/8” male threads on one side and 3/8” female threads on the other.
- Pressurized Faucet Kit - Used if you would like to add a faucet and a pressurized tank to your system. Included pieces to bypass the DI.
All BRS Reverse Osmosis units exclusively feature American made DOW, MATRIKX and Purtrex filters. We also use American made Mur-lok dual EPDM O-ring fittings whenever possible on all of our reverse osmosis units. These NSF certified fittings and filters cost us more than inexpensive imports, but set our units apart from the competition.
Deal of the Day!
BRS Bulk Magnesium Chloride Aquarium SupplementEnds in00:00:00:00
- Bulk Media & Additives
- Bulk Reverse Osmosis Filters & Systems
- Bulk Dry Live Rock & Live Sand
- BRS Additives
- Red Sea Additives
- Korallen-Zucht Additives
- Two Little Fishies
- Fauna Marin Aquarium Additives
- Auto Top Off Systems
- Filter Media
- Fish & Coral Foods
- Fragging Supplies
- Heaters & Chillers
- Aquarium Lighting
- Medications & Pest Removal
- Monitors & Controllers
- Protein Skimmers
- Sumps, Tanks & Refugiums
- Tank Maintenance & Salt Mix
- UV & Ozone
- Videos & Books
- New Products
Send us your feedback
Let us know.
Phone Hours: 7am - 7pm CST M-Th
10am-4pm CST Friday
6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400
Golden Valley, MN 55427 Map
View Larger Map 6325 Sandburg Road, Suite 400, Golden Valley, MN 55427